Possible New Jeeper Questions (Buying a Used TJ)

hossenfeth

Hello All,

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and really respect the opinions on this board so here is my situation. I have two TJs that I am currently looking at.:

1999 TJ 105,000 Miles Soft Top Only (small hole over drivers side door)
Nice exterior - Few Scratches - Not a single Dent on a skidplate
4 cyl - 5 speed
Asking $8999 for it

1998 TJ 82,000 Miles Hard Top Only
6 cyl - 5 speed
Have not seen this vehicle - wife called the dealer
Asking $8995

I live in Iowa so the hard top is a plus............burrrrr. I drove the TJ with the soft top and found the wind noise to be annoying. I plan to setup whatever TJ I end up with for mild trail driving and use it as a daily driver. Please give any and all opinions that you may have on which jeep I should go with.

TIA

[addsig]

buy the 6 with the 5 speed, and a hard top is the way to go. I had a soft top on my YJ, hated it. MY TJ has both tops and I'm tring to sell the soft top. :-D

edited by: ajfrank43, Feb 08, 2003 - 10:27 PM[addsig]

just from the discriptions you gave i would go w/ the 98 and the 4.0, what model are they...se sport sahara?...but the 98 sounds like the beter deal[addsig]

Looks like you really cant go wrong as there are nothing but Jeeps in the choices you gave. I would go with the older of the two. I to love a hard top and hate the drafts and cold. When Summer rolls around I want a soft top s that freedom feeling of an open Jeep as well. Welcome to the boards and I hope that you stick around and remember you need to teach as well as learn here! Tug [addsig]

looks like a common decision... I agree... the 6 cyl seems to be the better choice. if you want both tops... the soft top is usually cheaper to buy than a hard top. The engine is more powerful, less miles, same body style (TJ)... and best of all... its cheaper, with gas prices going up... you might be able to buy a half gallon with the money you'll save[addsig]

get the 4.0 6cyl....you'll be much happier with it's preformance both on and off road[addsig]

I have a 97 with the 2.5 and I love it. I also have a soft top and wouldn't want a hard top as if I had one I would sell it as I wouldn't use it. But the choice is yours If I was going to buy either I would choice a 4.0 with a soft top, the added power of the 6 is worth it, and I would wait till I found one. The 2.5 get a little bewtter milage that the 4.0, but in the soft sand on the beach (new jersey) it tends to bogg a little with 4 people and all the beach/fishing gear stapped on and in it. just my two cents, welcome to the family and remember to wave. [addsig]

I will go look at the 98' as soon as possible. I hope the body is in as good of shape as the 99' if so I think I will be coming home with it.

Thanks for all the opinions,[addsig]

I say go with the 4.0, 5 speed. Just get a bikini, or safari top, the hard top won't be too much fun in the summer.[addsig]

If everything checks out with the 98 I would grab it as soon as possible...not that I'm biased!!! :roll: But seriously, I think you would appreciate the hardtop and the 4.0. Like others have said, pick up a Bestop safari bikini (rather inexpensive) and get ready for summer! Good luck and welcome, Patti[addsig]

Well....called the dealer with the 98...goes to show you you should never let your wife call around and get the scoop on vehicles for you. The 98 is a soft top not a hard top. The miles are 87,000 but it is a 4.0 and a 5 speed. What is the opinion of the group on the price. He is asking 8900 for it so I assume I can talk him down to atleast 7900 or so. Whaddya guys think? good deal or keep lookin..........

TIA[addsig]

Well....called the dealer with the 98...goes to show you you should never let your wife call around and get the scoop on vehicles for you. The 98 is a soft top not a hard top. The miles are 87,000 but it is a 4.0 and a 5 speed. What is the opinion of the group on the price. He is asking 8900 for it so I assume I can talk him down to atleast 7900 or so. Whaddya guys think? good deal or keep lookin..........

TIA

See, it's the exact opposite in my house....just goes to show ya....ah, gender-typing.... ;-) Take care, Patti :) [addsig]

Dude you live in one beautiful place. I use to drive through there a bunch! tug[addsig]

South Central....Rural Osceola actually...got any good wheelin spots? I have never been over east to ELY but sure would like to go once I get my TJ :)

Later[addsig]

no kiddin....the people in the mountains got it made....been wheelin out there two or three times....thats what got me hooked.......[addsig]

Back