2008 Rubicon Unlimited 6spd manual transmission

mikebeans

My transmission occasionally pops out of 1st gear when the clutch is engaged. It is unpredictable and only happens about 10% of the time. It is a real headache when driving in steep terrain or in traffic. Sometimes it pops out with terrific force. I have had it into 3 different dealers, the transmission has been out twice, first gear and 1st syncro have been replaced...the last time it was noted "excess wear to 1st gear". The service manager at Lithia is trying to blow me off by saying it is my shifting prowess. That is BS. I have over 50 years experience driving manual trannies including 18 wheel log trucks.

2 issues known with a JK equipped with the NSG370; Shift boot interference and first gear and 1-2 syncronizer assembly. Those components needs to be carefully inspected and verified to fix the concern.

When I went to get my transmission rebuilt, I was told that the nsg370 was only used in 05 and 06, so the parts were real expensive ($1400 for a rebuild kit). So, is it the same transmission used in the 08?

Back