Snorkel?

My dad has some 5 inch chrome pipe off of his semi that was exhaust pipe and he wanted to know if I could use it to make a snorkel ... what do you guys think? Use it to do the main part and buy the pre fliter like I want? ... Oh, and of course, paint it black.

That is some big 'ol pipe (5"). I am sure it can be made to work, but there will be some fitment issues both to the existing rubber boot on the motor and room to route a pipe that big through the engine bay and through the body.

i made a snorkle set up for under $30.00. use a pvc floor drain kit and 3 in pvc pipe. trim the base to the shape u need and flip the drain over your carb and seal with silicone gasket. efi skip the drain an use plexi for a box .

And I found out it is 3 INCH pipe not 5 ... dad replaced his 3 inch with 5 inch and has the 3 left over, I was mistaken ...

advantages and disadvantages? Well, don't try any deep water fording without a snorkel for your tailpipe. Had these on our M151's when I was in the service
image-missing.png

The puzzling thing is the tops of these snorkels were about 12 inches over the driver's head.
The procedure for getting off LST's?
1. Push the foot throttle down about 1/3 to 1/2
2. Pull out the hand throttle matching main throttle cable extention
3. Stand on the door rail while holding your head above water, steering with your right hand.
...trouble was, more often than not, my Jeep found a hole in the beach approach ~glub glub~

Last edited by a moderator:

Snorkels are way to cool to not have one...plus it might just save ur engine. Anybody seen a carbureted jeep with a ARB snorkel on?? Would love to see how they approached that.

Eddie.

they make adapters for webers. i think i found it on redline weber's site.

now, i have an issue with the advantages and disadvantages to having a snorkel listed in the first page of this thread.

advantage 1 says that you get cleaner air.
disadvantage 1 says you have to change your air filter more often because of debris.

something is not right with one of those being on the list.

TerryMason said:
Hey Zach - got any photos?

Also, did your mileage / power change any? I imagine the engine would breathe easier, but you'd probably pickup some drag (if it's possible to decrease the aerodynamics of a Wrangler)

I'm not sure it possible to decrease the aerodynamics.. Lol I know on a windy day I have to steer a little towards the wind. :p

Back