Snorkel?

Jesse

So I'm thinking about moving over to a snorkel system, and i was just wondering, in your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages to it? Other than the obvious being able to cross where the water levels are higher. Any systems you'd recommend?

I've never run a snorkel myself, so this is just stuff I've heard:

Advantages:

1. Cleaner air (normally the higher your intake is from the road, the cleaner the air is)
  2. Cooler air (it doesn't pass through the hot engine compartment)
  3. More air (similar to a hood scoop, or ram air)
  4. Dry air
  5. More space in the engine bay (if you want to add more mods, etc)
  6. It looks really cool
Disadvantages:

1. Bugs, debris and more stuff stuck in your air cleaner
  2. More frequent air filter changes

Advantages:

1. Cleaner air (normally the higher your intake is from the road, the cleaner the air is)
  2. Cooler air (it doesn't pass through the hot engine compartment)
  3. More air (similar to a hood scoop, or ram air)
  4. Dry air
  5. More space in the engine bay (if you want to add more mods, etc)
  6. It looks really cool
Disadvantages:

1. Bugs, debris and more stuff stuck in your air cleaner
  2. More frequent air filter changes

#'s 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 are true (especially #6). #5 is a myth when it comes to the ARB Safari Snorkle... it utlizes the stock air box that you modify... "So easy even a caveman can do it!" I just did a snorkle on my Jeep. The hardest part is the 3" hole drilled into the side :cry:. No bugs yet... I suppose if you had a pre-filter net it would grab alot of garbage you suck up. OH, DON'T FORGET THE NICE SOUND IT PRODUCES... :shades: IT SURE DOES SUCK SOME AIR!

Any systems you'd recommend?

ARB looks real nice... I'm not a big fan of the home made ones & Volant requires that you get the CAI to work with the Snorkle where as ARB comes with the whole kit to get you set up... either way you're gonna need to cut your body... the ARB does have one drawback... it's hard (not impossible) to take off your passenger door... but if you're talking about crossing deep rivers you may as well keep them on.

Hey Zach - got any photos?

Also, did your mileage / power change any? I imagine the engine would breathe easier, but you'd probably pickup some drag (if it's possible to decrease the aerodynamics of a Wrangler)

none of the Jeep yet just the steps
downsized_0407001559-1.jpg

0407001600-1.jpg

0407001942a-1.jpg

0407001600a-1.jpg

I have seen alot of good home made ones that go out the drivers side because when you go out the passengers side it goes over the hot motor and could possibly heat some of the colder air, and not getting as cold as a temp as going out the drivers side... I know a guy who just got the ARB unit for his JK with the pre filter, and that thing gets alot of stuff in it, but all he does is unscrew the top, dump the junk and go... If I were to do a snorkel I think I would do a drivers side with a Pre filter.

advantages and disadvantages? Well, don't try any deep water fording without a snorkel for your tailpipe. Had these on our M151's when I was in the service

So the ARB is easy to install?Also, it would be fine to have one on a daily driver as well right?

Last edited:
I also run the ARB Safari snorkel on my YJ. I also installed it myself in a few hours, with no adverse effects noticed (if enything, engine performance has improved).

Keep in mind, though, that just because you have a snorkel it does not mean your Jeep is a submarine; you still have to worry about getting the ignition or the ECU wet (ECU's can handle some water and are theoretically sealed, but submerge them often and water can find its way through cracks, and they WILL die). The big advantage, though, is that it's easier and cheaper to repair a damaged ignition than a hydrolocked engine, so that, to me, makes the investment worth it...

Felipe

PS: Here's something from my last wheeling trip for you to enjoy...

DSC01036-1.jpg

DSC01219-1.jpg

DSC01242-1.jpg

DSC01232-1.jpg

DSC01253-1.jpg

I bought the ARB Snorkel and yes its very scary drilling the 3inch hole in your quarter. but well worth it. It looks great and when you put the hammer down it sounds Great! but my question is...........................what about the water during driving in the rain? thats the only thing that makes me worried about mine while driving during all kinds of weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 1,870

but my question is...........................what about the water during driving in the rain? thats the only thing that makes me worried about mine while driving during all kinds of weather.

Well, getting 5 inches or more of rainfall in a month in Panama and Costa Rica is kind of ussual, and I have yet to have any issues. If you think about it, when it's raining cats and dogs, ussually you are NOT driving 65mph (it's more like 20mph, 'cause you can't see A THING!). Hence, the opening of the snorkel (which is slanted, by the way) is not exposed to that much water, and the snorkel is designed (at least the Safary one) to be able to route water out of the system. I have had mine for a couple of years and the driest place it's been in is Miami, FL. I have yet to have any water damage...

what about the water during driving in the rain? thats the only thing that makes me worried about mine while driving during all kinds of weather.

If you look at the head of the snorkel you'll notice it doesn't fit tightly around the down tube in some spots. This allows rain to be directed out of the tube instead of down... I'm still thinking on some kind of drain plug in case of water getting in there though.

Get a snorkel regardless of deep water or not, I was dumb and had a cold air kit on my, and hit a puddle that was deeper than I though, Sucked in a few liters of water and was dead. Fortunately friends pulled me out and I was able to pull my spark plugs and get back on the trail. Stick with stock or get the snorkel, if you want a cold air performance kit go buy a Honda.

Back