Stalling isues 2000 Jeep Wrangler

AdkJeep

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I own a 2000 Wrangler with the 4.0 and the last month or so I have been having problems with it intermittently stalling. At first the RPMs would jump up and down and the jeep would buck and sputter a little while driving. Now things have gotten worse and although it still bucks at times it is more likely to just stall out completely when driving. When this first started I would pull to the side of the road put it in park and it would start back up fine. Now when it stalls it doesn't want to start. It just turns over and over, but no start. After a few tries (sometimes many) it starts back up, and sometimes stalls right out again.

I took it to my mechanic who suggested it was the fuel pump starting to go bad because I could not hear the fuel pump kick in after it stalled. It would take a few tries before I heard the pump and then it would start right up. I bought a new fuel pump and when he removed the old one it was missing the fuel filter, or sock. He drained my gas tank mostly but could not find the missing filter, and installed the new pump. It worked great with no problems for 3 days. Before the new pump was put in it had gotten to the point where everytime I drove it somewhere it would stall out. I thought the problem was fixed until it bucked on the 4th day while driving it to work. Now its gotten worse again stalling out with no warning, and again not wanting to start back up.

I cannot get any codes to appear, but a while back the engine light was on and it popped up with a code "Catalyst Efficiency Low Bank 2" I believe. The engine light is now off and has been off for some time. There is a ground wire on my firewall that is disconnected, but I don't see how this could create the problems I'm having (it is the ground wire that is connected to the hood.) I also changed the spark plugs 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Last edited:

The Catalyst Efficiency Low Bank 2 error code normally means that the emission system is reporting that the cat is not doing it's job based on the data it's getting from the O2 sensor on the outlet of the cat.

This could mean that you have one or more bad O2 sensor, or a clogged up cat.

Back