jeep jumping gears while stopped?

captjanes

while my jeep is parked on a hill she will jump her gears and roll, it dosent have to be a big hill.. i can almost do it in my drive way if i get behind her and rock her. maybe it is normal for 35" and 4.88 gears? i was wondering if someone can give me a reason why, not that it is a big problem i was just wondering what is going on here thanks

You dont have the E brake on or it is broke.Basically there is not enough compression in the engine causing the weight of the Jeep to turn the engine over.I assume it is an standard.

yeah it is a standard. and yes my cable for the hand brake is stretched and i bought an adjuster to put on it and it wasnt enough so i gave up on it haha. i was gona buy a new cable but i dont use hand brake because i dont like them that much so i never bothered to order it haha.. i guess i will have to order one i spose haha thanks alot

If the engine is turning over allowing the Jeep to roll that's probably OK (might be an indication of low compression) . Put the transmission in 1st or reverse (depending on which way the Jeep is facing so the engine is turning the right way. In a pinch you can put the transfer case in 4 LO (make sure it's really in so it doesn't pop out) and put the transmission in 1st or reverse. That will give quite a bit more resistance to rolling.

If the transmission is jumping out of gear (like landing in neutral) allowing the Jeep to roll away that's NOT OK. That means there is some serious wear or damage in there. Best of luck - John

she is not that bad.. i cant roll her while she is stopped just rock her.. but that is just where big tires and small engine.. i am a marine engineer i checked the compression and that is fine. i figured it was a normal thing because i seen many manul v6 fords jump the same way on a inclined. thanks for your opinions guys

Back