The 'Betty' page (and no, I don't mean Bettie Page)

Turbogus

So, been doing several mods to 'Betty' over the last couple of years and the latest was installing an Class M clutch rod setup,
27096md-1.jpg
as part of a compliance with that JP article regarding CJ fixes/upkeep a couple of months back.
My question is, despite the instructions (sketchy as they were) they were clear that no parts of the OE lower rod setup are to be used in conjunction with the Class M. So they have the threaded lower clutch rod end in contact with the throwout bearing arm directly. The OE? setup used a ball end threaded sleeve, apparently to ease griding against the thowout arm. Any ideas if this is kosher?

Last edited:

image-missing.png

well, thats better.

As for your clutch, If I am understanding exactly what you are saying, I see no problem assuming you have full range of motion. if you can, try to incorporate a AG heim joint to join the two.. Pics certainly would help just know exactly what you are talking about.

1691909-1.jpg
27096md-1.jpg
The photos show the OE rod adjuster on the left and the M Class on the right. The shorter rod shown has no 'clutch rod adjuster' attached, further, the instructions specify that no OE hardware is to be used.
image-missing.png

Right jps, I'm clear on that but notice the ball end of the adjuster on the OE adjuster, then, the threaded rod end of the class M, either of which would be in the detent of the clutch fork. My concern~wouldn't the threaded rod abrade the detent to the point of break-through eventually?

The thoery of the detent ball eventually wearing through the clutch sounds kosher however, I've haven't seen it happen. I keep mine greased every oil change and haven't had problems with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. if it truely is a concern.. and I am just thinking out loud here... where the ball sits in the clutch fork, I would drill a hole that is about 1/8-3/16" larger than the threaded rod (basically removing the "female" portion where the "ball" sits in. I would go to the auto parts store and pick up some basic rubber sway bar end link bushings bushings, one on each side of the hole you drilled and then stick the threaded rod through and secure it with a Nylon locking nut. shouldn't wear it out, still have some of the flexability

Contacted the manufacturer and their response was "There are no additional pieces to the kit. The threaded rod insert is designed to recess against the clutch fork. We have been selling them for many years this way and have never heard of one excessively wearing the clutch fork. However, if you would like to put an acorn nut on the end of yours that would be fine and it would not negatively effect the linkage kit. The threads on that rod are 3/8" - 24 (fine thread)."
So I think I'm going this was to err on the side of caution.

Back