1975 CJ5 258 AMC Ingition advance problem

DAG

Got a problem with my ingition timing base setpoint and advance, I have resourced about every thing I can find on this topic, so now I am looking for experience to help out. Here is the problem...I have the ingition control module with BID distributor, factory base timing calls for 3° advance with vac disconnected and 550 engine rpm but once the engine rpm is increased the timing is retarted by about 8 to 10 degrees up to 1600 rpm when the mechanical advance kicks in. Have installed a new distributor because the vac advance on the old was shot. Vac line to the distributor is connected to the ported advance not the manifold vacuum. Starting to guess but I am point to either the coil or the ICM as the culprit. Hate to start changing parts but might have to. Thanks DAG

I'm not the most knowledgable on this, but you should be able to test the low circit (both voltage and ohms) on the coil with a multimeter. I did this on my 82 cj and it saved me from replacing something I didn't need to.

Well...just checked the coil, I will be purchasing a new one, did not meet the specs in my book, will let you know if it works out. thanks for the note.

Back