Death Wobble or Wheels unbalanced?

jwilliams92

I put a set of steel D windows on last week with my stock tires(30x9.50) and now I have what I think is death wobble. If I let of the gas around 50mph and coast the wobble starts. Fpr the most part the wobble will stop when my speed gets back down to 45mph. It does not seem to happen during accelertation or when I hit any bumps. The wheels were professionally balanced. The suspenstion is still stock and I did not have any problems with the factory wheels. So today I went to the shop that balanced my wheels and they were 1/2oz off. Guess what as soon as I got to 50mph and let off the gas the wobble started again. Hope this made sense. Is it death wobble or someone who doesn't know how to balance a wheel. Any other ideas?

I dont think it is death wobble.Where the rims new?Could be a bent rim or something.

I wonder if the new shoes are accentuating a bad ball joint. Old tires tend to wear into "bad habits" from what I've experienced. Just a thought....I may be totally off track though.....

I would look for somebody else to balance the tires, somebody with a decent balancer that can check roadforce as well.

How much air did they put in them?

Jeeps are funny about air pressure,Too much and start bouncing..to little and you sway all over the road.

Easy way to check is some chalk and some pavement.

Put a line across your tire and drive it.You should have an even line across the road.If not adjust tire pressure.

This was a constant battle with me and my TJ. I sold it to my bro, and now it is his battle. We have done alot to try to fix it and it fixes for a while and starts again. Start with the cheapest fix (or most likely) and move up. For example:
1. Crawl under it and shake, tap, and twist stuff to look for loose bolts or fittings. FREE
2. Check your (front) tires for bumps or knots FREE
3. (Re) Balance tires and rotate $20
4. Maybe get a front end alignment. Some Jeeps do not like this due to missing adjusters. Explained to me a long time ago but cannot remember, This problem is not likely but worth checking $30-40
5. Have a 4X4 mechanic look at your steering stabilizer. This problem is fairly likely $0-200
6. Check to see if your Shocks are rusted, shakey, or loose

My brother upgraded to an HD Stabilizer and no D.Wobble for a lil' over a year.

Hope this helps

I agree with Murdadock. I have heard that the steering stabilizer could be the cause for most wobbles.

Well I have had the wheels balanced three times now and third was at second shop. Still has the shakes around the 45mph range. Both shops said the wheels look fine. I guess it is time to start looking for more possible causes.

It doesn't sound like death wobble to me. Just to sum up:

old wheels = no wobble
new wheels + old tires = wobble

Do you know if your new rims are hubcentric or lugcentric?

fRIEND OF MINE HAD THAT PROBLEM. 06 UNLIMITED AND TURNED OUT THE TIRE WEAR WHILE ON THE OLD RIMS HAD "SEATED" AND THE RIDE WAS OK. ONCE HE HAD THE NEW RIMS INSTALLED THE TIRES REMOUNTED INTO POSITIONS OTHER THAN WHERE THEY ORIGINALLY WERE IE ROTATION,LOCATION FRONT REAR ETC.. THREW THE CAR OUT OF BALANCE. HE PURCHESAED A NEW SET OF TIRES AND 2 YEARS LATER HE STILL IS GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

Bounty to your ? I feel it in both but more in the wheel.
Terry yes and I don't know but I don't think they are hubcentric.
Elevator the last shop did say that the tires were wearing funny.

I would try new tires and a new steering stabilizer. I used to have death wobbles around 45, turn the wheel side to side a couple of times and it was fine. I put on the new stabilizer.......no problem. I also had put on used 31x10.5 tires I got from a buddy. no issues at all after the stabilizer. No tire issues either (never ballanced the tires either, mounted and went).

Keep in mind that the steering stabilizer's job is to mask and vibrations you have. By installing a new one you won't fix any problems, you'll just lessen what you feel at the wheel. The vibrations will continue.

When was your last alignment?

Back