Adding a Seat belt

Off-Air

Can I Safely add another seat belt in the rear of my TJ? I want to bring a nephew along on some trips with my two boys. But only four of us would have seat belts. Any ideas?

I don't know about space for adding a seat belt but maybe using the center mount in the floor(lap belt only ) might work. An old trick with lap belts is to cross the 2 belts & connect the left belt female to the right belt male & visa-versa...this creates 3 lap sized loops(not sure if it works with shoulder style belts). Used it many-a times in my old CJ when my sons were small(about 20 yrs ago):eek:

Thanks for the reply and for the idea. Will need to check on the cross belt system. As for the space, I am talking about skinny little kids who could fit on the bench seat for at least a few more years.

Can you do it legally?

Even if you did it safely would it be legal?

i am also looking at buying a jeep and was also wondering the same thing. i looked around and even called the state police and asked them. they said this as long as im making it safer then there is no law against it. i told them what i wanted to do and that the jeeps back seat was made for 2 and i wanted to add a seat belt for a 3rd kid. i have a 4 mo old and a 5 and 6 yo. and they said go for it.

laws might be different in other states so call the state police before you do it.

00000_8xIKZKCCiqq_600x450.jpg

this is the one im looking at.

Back