Gas mileage in the CJ's

hmmmmm whats gas mileage????? on a good day with everything running as it should i get about 5-8 mpg with a 383 stroker th350 trans 2300 -2500 rpm stall 4.88 gears and 38 inch tires
I bet you don't drive it every day. I don't mean every day one paticular week either. Mine has to pull dual duty, toy and grocery getter.

no i dont drive it every day its the weekend toy lol now if gas prices would drop id drive it every day lol
I'd love to tear it down, up the compression and add a few goodies but I have to fight the urge. I've got a friend that has a 383 stroker in a 79 Z/28, that car is wicked. Talk about a sweetheart of a car too, low mileage, slick org black paint. After being in it I can't imagine that engine in a CJ-7!

73cj5 304 2barrel 35.5" tires 4:10 gears about 13 Highway. If your not running bigger meats and don't need the power a straight 6 would be a good choice I think.

73cj5 304 2barrel 35.5" tires 4:10 gears about 13 Highway. If your not running bigger meats and don't need the power a straight 6 would be a good choice I think.
I started this thread before I traded for the one I've got. I really would have choosen the 6 over the V-8 but I couldn't pass up the deal. I like the sound of the V-8 but I've had many strait 6's in the past that were just plain work horses. I think they'll out last a V-8 and take a little more abuse. I didn't need alota of horsepower for what I wanted out of my Jeep anyway. From what I've been reading the 225 v-6 might have been a good choice too though.

The new v6? I hear they have some trouble, like the liberty 3.7l v6 has trouble. Ask around for the specifics but I remember reading some issue that is plagueing that 3.8l v6 in the new jeeps

The new v6? I hear they have some trouble, like the liberty 3.7l v6 has trouble. Ask around for the specifics but I remember reading some issue that is plagueing that 3.8l v6 in the new jeeps
I meant the old Buick based V-6 they used to put in Jeeps in late 60's early 70's. I've read it was light weight, plenty of power and torque plus dependability.

Also had a cj5 with a Buick 4.3 V-6 Had surprisingly good power and was getting close to 16mph running 35" tires. Low on power after 50mph but in an old jeep you probably don't want one that goes 100mph

Also had a cj5 with a Buick 4.3 V-6 Had surprisingly good power and was getting close to 16mph running 35" tires. Low on power after 50mph but in an old jeep you probably don't want one that goes 100mph
I've wondered about the 4.3 in a CJ, parts and aftermarket support should be good on it. Was it carb or throttle body? One things for sure, you've got lots of options in a Jeep!

I've wondered about the 4.3 in a CJ, parts and aftermarket support should be good on it. Was it carb or throttle body? One things for sure, you've got lots of options in a Jeep!

Mine was a carb. Long lasting smooth reliable motor it was! There is tons of them in junk yards to! Having a 4.3 fuel injected would be nice but have also heard of problems. Good luck.

If you did a 4.3 I would get the vortec motor easy to find just get a junkyard chevy blazer I seen plenty for like 500 then you have a rebuildable engine wiring harness and ecu planning on doing this to a friends 92 yj soon I personally like the 4.3 coming from the world of forklifts they take tons of abuse and if you went carb you can go propane straight off a hyster lol

If you did a 4.3 I would get the vortec motor easy to find just get a junkyard chevy blazer I seen plenty for like 500 then you have a rebuildable engine wiring harness and ecu planning on doing this to a friends 92 yj soon I personally like the 4.3 coming from the world of forklifts they take tons of abuse and if you went carb you can go propane straight off a hyster lol
Got the flathead 6 out of a late 60's Yale forklift going in my 46 Plymouth. Got the propane set-up, thinking seriously about running it. I think it'd be cheaper.

Back