slip yoke eliminator

markb

right now i have a 4 inch suspension lift and 33's on my 94 yj, im planning on putting the 2 inch lift shackles on soon...will i need a slip yoke eliminator? and if so should i use my stock shaft or get a longer one?

You will likely need a SYE with that 5" of lift. You can not use your stock shaft as you will need a CV type driveshaft, same as is found on the front of TJ's and XJ's. I often get a used front TJ or XJ shaft and have it shortened/balanced for the rear with a SYE.

You will also need to rotate your rear axle pinion upward, either by cutting the spring perches off and rewelding them, or using degree shims between the springs and the perches.

When you say 2" lift shackles, do you mean 2" actual lift increase or the shackles are 2" longer than stock? A shackle will only lift half the difference in length over a stock shackle, so in order to get 2" of lift you would need a shackle 4" longer than stock. A small amount of shackle lift isn't bad, but too much is ghetto, decreases approach and departure angles as well as messing with steering geometry and pinion angles. There are much better methods of achieving tire clearance.

You should not use a shackle that is 2" longer the factory.

1 you will tear off the spring hangers after hard wheeling
2 you will mess us the front end.

ya they were like twice as long as the stock shackles and 3/8 plate but the jeep wouldnt take them anyway. i already have bigger shocks, cant remember if they were rs9000 or rs5000 either way they wouldnt stretch out enough for the shackles. my centerlink and tie rod end were stretched right down too...so i said the **** with it. 33's will have to be big enough for now. i have no bodylift in it yet so i may look into getting an inch or two that way....my rear universal was pretty shot so i changed that and its all tight now..still running the stock shaft and the vibration isnt too bad, maybe i just got used to it tho haha.

I rub slightly with 35" tires under a 3.5" fabtech spring lift, they only rub on the body slightly in the very twisty parts of a trail. Biggest problem with the 35s was rubbing on the springs at full lock turns. As for your 4-5inch lift I do not think you would have a problem with larger tires, just get small wheel spacers for the front to keep the tires from rubbing on the springs.

As for the SYE, definately put one in. It will lengthen your rear shaft, lessen the drive angles on it and if you happen to blow a universal joint on the shaft you can drive without it and not worry about losing all the TC fluids. (been there done that and it didnt end well)

Bacon

Bacon, what else have you done to clear the 35" tires? Never seen it possible on a YJ with 3.5" springs alone. Have any pics of this beast?

It is a little easier now with a full width D60 in the front and a 14bolt in the rear. Before with the stock d30 and d35 it took minor trimming in the rear and a set of 1.5inch wheel spacers from Spydertrax in the front. At full flex without bump stops it would rub a little but not much. The d35 in the rear didn't last long (maybe 500miles) with the 35s and the young and dumb (me with a heavy foot).

Bacon

Back