Stall Outs at Idle

chuckndonna67

Recently purchased from a private party a 1988 Wrangler Sport, 6 Cyl, AT. While in motion vehicle seems okay. The problem comes when I come to a stop (stop sign, light). The engine has a tendency to die. Some time it surges and stays lit. Most times not. What should I be looking at to fix this annoying problem? Carburation, fuel? It also idles rough in gear or out. Thanks, Chuck[addsig]

yeah... most likely in the carbeurator or in some emissions system (EGR, etc...)[addsig]

there are a number of simple ways you can approach this problem, 1) get a can of carb cleaner> get a buddy to hold your throttle open and spray the cleaner down the butterfly......throughly spray the sides and ventural(sp??).....this may improve idleing and lessen the "bogging insidents" under throttle....had a similaar prob on my 89 i-6 YJ....howver my carb was compeletly shot, so i got a new one.....problem gone COMPELETLY
2) change your fuel filter....could be clogged
3) fuel pump check should be pumpin at about 6,7,or 8 ps1 ( i think)
4)sending unit may be bad
5)bad spark....check distributor, cap, pluges, plug wires

hmmm...thats all i can think of....oh yeah and btw i have replace most of the above all ready.....jeep runs great.. hope this helps. :) [addsig]

West747
Thanks for the tips. If it weren't so darn cold out, id be out checking it out. Previous owner put on a new carb about a year ago, also new fuel pump and filter. Your items 4 and 5 I'll check out.
Dingus
I was wondering about the emission system.
I see some other postings that show this stall out seems to be a common problem. Fixing it seems to run the course from carburation, emissions, timing, transmission not downshifting, crank sensor, EGR valve, etc. Looks like anyone of these could be IT. So without knowing what to put the finger on looks like I;ll have to check them all out. I am about as mechanic-inclined as a zebra![addsig]

I've got a carbed YJ except it's a 90, but the problem you're describing I've been through before. If it's idling rough out of gear, or if it's wildly erratic while coming to a stop after some driving (at one moment it's idling at 2000 at one stop, and then it's on the verge of stalling at the next), then I'd say it's clogged idle pickup tubes in the carburetor. Check this webpage out for a possible solution, or this page on this website. They both contain the same information. This worked for me.

A few months later I decided to rebuild my carburetor and found it was way out of adjustment, and I had to replace a broken metering rod cam (I have the non-stepper motor carb). Also, make sure there are no vacuum leaks and all vacuum lines are in good conditin and routed properly. Believe me, it'll make a huge difference.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 15, 2003 - 09:07 PM[addsig]

I'd check for a vacuum leak, I always start with the easiest fix then move on to the more difficult and expensive............Bullet[addsig]

Back