Lost it.

Lostit

Need a little help with my 85 jeep cj7 that has had some modification to carb emissions system. its a carter and thats already a mark against it. however the engine runs with a high idle if you ask me. its about 350 rpms . The modification was the nosser or something like that. it basically jumped wires from the ignition module to the distributor and the idle control is unplugged forever he said. well it runs but the equast manifold starts glowing red hot. if i back the idle down it starts dieing at stop signs. O and the timing is set at 8 degrees. Any ideas were i can start? As far as vacuum lines all it has is one going to the dist. one going to pcv valve and one going to the choke pull off. the rest are capped. :cry: Lost it after i put my wrenches down. Another thing is when i shut it off you can hear a sizzling sound every now and then from somewhere around card and intake. like water sizzling off a hot surface but have no water loss.

They did a nutter bypass? If your exhaust manifold is red hot then you are running way to lean. Since you cannot bring your idle down without it dying, I would say you have a vacuum leak. Only way you can find it is with some spray. Spray the gaskets, a little area at a time, then spray the hoses a little at a time. When ever the idle changes speed then you have found the vacuum leak. Its going to probably be fairly small so it might be hard to find.

Also, if you don't have experience on carbs, might want to start reading or find a buddy or mechanic who knows how to mess with them.

Also, if you don't have experience on carbs, might want to start reading or find a buddy or mechanic who knows how to mess with them.

while i was waiting i did do that and found a leak at or around the throttle linkage were it goes into the base. And thank you for replying. there is another brain twister. I know on most vehicles you have to press the gas pedal once when cold to set choke. but once the vehicle is warmed should you still need to press gas to add fuel to get it to start. once warm and shut off it will crank all day long but not start. press pedal down once and it starts. And yes that was it a Nutter bypass.

Last edited:

It has an idle solenoid that you have to tap the gas pedal to set. Sounds like most of the right things were done, but it needs further adjustments to get it right. The stepper motor wasn't in the correct position when the harness was unplugged. You can advance timing until the motor starts to ping and then back it down till it stops and then a bit more (depends on the fuel you get. I run 17 BTC with 85 octane, but can only run 12 on 87 for some reason)

Back