Wheel Bearing Replacement Problem

dlw6733

I have an 83 CJ-7 and replaced the front wheel bearings on the driver side. I am running into a problem when reassembling. I cannot get the C clamp or snap ring into the slot on the axle. The hub assembly will not slide on far enough. I can barely see the groove in the axle but not enough is accessible to put the snap ring in. I think the rotor is not sliding onto the spindle far enough. I verified the races are seated properly and have tightened the wheel nuts as tight as I can get them to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing this problem?

I agree with Bounty_Hunter. Remove the assembly and inspect the bearings then compare it to the old ones that came off. Make sure the bearing race is seated properly and the seal is the correct size as well. Check the spindle for burrs as this might be causing the bearing race not to slide in all the way to the spindle.

I assume you are talking about the snap ring that holds the axle shaft at the center of the hub??? The one that you slide over the splines on its way to the groove? If so, try pushing the axle shaft assy outward by prying gently on the knuckle U-joint. There is a fair amount of play in there when the snap ring is not installed. -John

I assume you are talking about the snap ring that holds the axle shaft at the center of the hub??? The one that you slide over the splines on its way to the groove? If so, try pushing the axle shaft assy outward by prying gently on the knuckle U-joint. There is a fair amount of play in there when the snap ring is not installed. -John

Thank you Crazy4diesels, that was just my problem. Everything went together just fine after prying on the U-joint.

Back