Keeping my Yj dry

K.13

Just got my '95, with the 2.5, on the road the other day and yesterday decided to take it in some pretty mild trails. Just to make sur it was worth buying. So far it doesn't hold up to my old XJ.
Went through some decently deep water holes and everything was fine... up till about 30 feet from the end of the trail. Some of the points got wet, no big deal, dried them off. I did realize the coil is in kind of a bad spot. Is there a good way/space to relocate that too?
Also, seem to be having a bit of a fuel delivery problem now. Once I got it running again, a few times it just lost all power then died, and once on the road it completely stalled. After bleeding the fuel out of the valve on the fuel rails, it ran fine again. After a few problems, it seems to be ok now.
But still want to make sure.
I don't think it's a fuel pump problem. Although I should check to see how much pressure its sending. What should it be pumped at?
Any one have and idea whats going or and any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited:

i can't help you am letting you know your not being ignored

YJs tend to have a problem with the clamp loosening on the fuel line up at the top of the tank on the driver’s side. At first you will only smell raw gas but eventually it will start to puddle. It is possible that water could have entered the fuel line there or the tank at some other point (vent line?) during submersion. Any water in the tank will sink to the bottom and get pumped into the gas line causing the motor to stall. This may explain why bleeding the fuel rail solved the problem.

The coil is generally not a problem when it gets wet, it's the distributor and you can't relocate it. And I don't believe the '95 has 'points', what exactly are you referring to?

Oops, worded that wrong. The distributor was a little wet, dried it off and took the plugs off and dried them out, everything seemed fine.
I think what Saddle Tramp said might explain the problem. Once the thing was running again it died a few times, like a lack of gas.

maybe the wiring at the tank? connections got wet and are arcing or shorting and have gotten some corrosion on them now?

Doesnt seem to be an electrical problem anywhere. Minus a little water on the cap... but thats not much of a problem. I got to check the fuel lines and what not, just been too cold lately to crawl under it. Im more than certain it was a water in the gas problem. Thanks for the help, and thank you Saddle Tramp for the heads up.

Back