CJ7 starts on its own

peterblesi

I have a 1979 CJ7 with a 304 5.0L. 3 years ago the engine was fogged and the jeep stored. It's now to the point where I can start it.

Yesterday, I spent about 40 minutes trying to keep it running (another problem). Started it many time (about 25). In between tries (with the keys out of the ignition), the engine started turning over on its own very slow (as if the battery were dead).

I disconnected the battery to stop it from starting. I reconnected the battery and it did it again. When I tried to start with the keys, it would not turn over. Only clicking as if the battery were dead. Volt meter tells me it's at 12v.

When i disconnected the battery for the final time, there was a large spark between the battery and cable. This tells me there is a large drain on the battery (I assume somewhere in the ignition / starter system).

Any ideas what is going on or steps to correct ?

Disconnect the small wires from the solenoid - the ones on the two small studs. They are probably push-on, right angle, rubber connectors (keep track of where they go). Solenoid is mounted to the inner fender and can be located by following the large positive battery cable. The cable goes from the battery + to the solenoid. Fan the top of the battery with a sheet of cardboard to disperse any hydrogen and see if you still get a spark at the terminal. If no spark (and the starter does not engage) your problem is probably in the ignition switch. Take the plug off the switch and repeat the spark test. If you DO still get a big spark and the starter makes any noise your solenoid is stuck. After so many starts you might need to put the battery charger on your battery. This may be why you are getting slow turning. Also... You don't have any old (over a year or two) gas in the Jeep do you? This can hang open your valves and destroy your engine really quick (been there done that :bomb: ) . Best of luck - John

X2, excellent advise from John. The external solenoid for the starter would sometimes do some weird crap. I had an experience once when i went to town to pick up some groceries at 8:00 at night. As i started to slow down on a red light, the starter solenoid all of a sudden kicked on and engaged the started while i was driving. By the time i was able to find a parking lot to pull over( Police station) something was already burning under the hood. A couple of Police officers came with a fire extinguisher and assisted me in taking the flame out. Every wire from the battery to the solenoid and the starter is fried including one of the gel battery. I was able to disconnect all the cables after it cooled down and used a jumper cable to get it started to drive it home. Why and how it happened i still dont know. Theoretically, the solenoid could have shorted internally and caused all this, but i could be wrong.

Thanks for the quick reply and the advice. I'll give it a try.

By the way, the gas is new. Thanks for the warning.

Back