clunkng noise while driving

cali_92

i recently installed a RC 4" lift on my 92 yj and i've noticed that i have a clunking noise when i drive. the noise seems to be coming from my suspension in the front. i also put 33x12x15 falken wildpeak tires... could they b too big and have worn down something to do with this.
advice please and thank you

i recently installed a RC 4" lift on my 92 yj and i've noticed that i have a clunking noise when i drive. the noise seems to be coming from my suspension in the front. i also put 33x12x15 falken wildpeak tires... could they b too big and have worn down something to do with this.
advice please and thank you

when does the noise happen? turns, straight, over bumps? is it constant? with a 4" lift and the 33's you should have plenty of clearance.

it happens all the time. i cant hear it when im driving cause my exhaust is so loud but when m in neuch i can hear it and it seems to get worse when i brake. i tried adjusting the brakes by throwing it in reverse picking up speed then slamming on he brakes but they dont stop these 33s very well

it happens all the time. i cant hear it when im driving cause my exhaust is so loud but when m in neuch i can hear it and it seems to get worse when i brake. i tried adjusting the brakes by throwing it in reverse picking up speed then slamming on he brakes but they dont stop these 33s very well

well, i'm kinda stumped. this is really weird.....does it only happen when your moving or does it still happen when your stopped? if it continues while your stopped then it might be an engine trany problem.

if its only when your moving then it could be a few things. if you have disk brakes they could be warped,

loose tire(is there any wobble in the jeep? if not, then nevermind, but it could just be on 1 tire then there prob wouldn't be much wobble),

suspension could be loose and constantly shifting(however, that wouldn't really make a clunking sound and it would be less noticable. so prob not this.),

or something could be hanging down and hitting some moving part of something like that.

so,make sure lugs and suspension are tight, check under the jeep for hanging things. but if it happens while your not moving(just running in idle) then you dont need to check all that, it will be more than likely an engine or trany prob.

good luck and keep me updated

doesn't the WJ have struts up front if so check and make sure there tight in eng compartment also check control arm bushings ect my wife had a bad clunk in the liberty tightened down struts it went away also had same issue in 2 of my xjs tighten down struts and it was gone
I see loose struts almost every day cause when installed some mechanics don't take the time to wrench them down tight because there sockets are to short a simple box end is all they need but are to lazy cause 1/4 turn at a time is too stressful for them tire shops are the most common for this
the techs don't have proper tools other than the basics in most cases

well, i'm kinda stumped. this is really weird.....does it only happen when your moving or does it still happen when your stopped? if it continues while your stopped then it might be an engine trany problem.

if its only when your moving then it could be a few things. if you have disk brakes they could be warped,

loose tire(is there any wobble in the jeep? if not, then nevermind, but it could just be on 1 tire then there prob wouldn't be much wobble),

suspension could be loose and constantly shifting(however, that wouldn't really make a clunking sound and it would be less noticable. so prob not this.),

or something could be hanging down and hitting some moving part of something like that.

so,make sure lugs and suspension are tight, check under the jeep for hanging things. but if it happens while your not moving(just running in idle) then you dont need to check all that, it will be more than likely an engine or trany prob.

good luck and keep me updated

its not the engine. i've turned off the engine and just coasted down hill. im leaning towards it being the brakes.. the noise seems to get louder when im slowing down(braking) i'll check it out 2morrow and post again

doesn't the WJ have struts up front if so check and make sure there tight in eng compartment also check control arm bushings ect my wife had a bad clunk in the liberty tightened down struts it went away also had same issue in 2 of my xjs tighten down struts and it was gone
I see loose struts almost every day cause when installed some mechanics don't take the time to wrench them down tight because there sockets are to short a simple box end is all they need but are to lazy cause 1/4 turn at a time is too stressful for them tire shops are the most common for this
the techs don't have proper tools other than the basics in most cases

i dont know what struts you are referring to.

i think it might also be a u-joint maybe...?
how do i check that? just go under there and see if i can move it by hand?

cali_92 said:
i think it might also be a u-joint maybe...?
how do i check that? just go under there and see if i can move it by hand?

Look under there and on the u joints you'll see 2 bolts on each side, just tighten them as much as you can by hand. But if it was a problem with your u joint you would get vibration rather than just a clunk sound. It's gotta be suspension, check it and tighten those bolts. Then let me know how it after that.

You may now have too much angle on your ujoints with the lift. That could also explain why its worse when you brake, especially with a rear ujoint, as the front of the pinion will tilt downward more from braking, thus increasing the angle even more. I had that prob a long time ago after putting in a ford 9" rear in my CJ5. I just adjusted the rear's angle and it was gone. Also make sure your ujoints are timed the same, front joint with rear joint (on each drive shaft), so the "moments" are the same. I also made that mistake in my early days.

Time the clunking. Is it in rythm with the tires (every one revolution of the tire), drive shaft, engine? That should help you narrow it down. You could also just remove the front drive shaft and see if it goes away. that'll also help narrow it down.
Daffy

Gentlemen. - - My. Jeep. Also. Has a loud clunking NOISE. From. The. Rear. End! Happens. MOSTLY. When. Going. Over. Bumps! Jeep is a: 2001 - Grand. Cherokee. - - with. 140K + plus on it! It. Has. Been. Over the hill and. Down the. Other. Side! It. Is. A. RECENT purchase - - - would RATE. Condition as - FAIR! Side note - HORN. Does not work! (Unrelated issue). - I. I'm. In. The. Prelominary. Trtoubleshooting. Stages - - My. Thoughts are- - 2. Shocks. - (appear to be. Chrysler Original!). 3. U-Joints. ( Possibly. Shot!). 4 Control. Arm. Bushings?? 5. Rear. End ? Carrier. - Pinion?? 6- - IDEAS?? Might. Go. Ahead. With. U-Joints! :shades: It. Is a. 2. WD. - 4.0. L. Cherokee - - - Automatic--- -Im. A bit. Stumped ! ??

i think the grand cherokees have problems with the shock mounts getting a little worn and causing a thunk. but its been a while since i had a grand so i might be misremembering

i believe i gave up on this issue.... i still get the clunking noise when i turn(thats when i mainly notice it) i need new brakes. i think i have uneven ware on my brake pads. and i also think it could be the angle of the front drive shaft it just doesnt look straight/proper, i wonder if its related with me only having 4Lo.

and for jimbob i dont know what to tell ya. i cant even read your text due to so many periods!

cali_92 said:
i believe i gave up on this issue.... i still get the clunking noise when i turn(thats when i mainly notice it) i need new brakes. i think i have uneven ware on my brake pads. and i also think it could be the angle of the front drive shaft it just doesnt look straight/proper, i wonder if its related with me only having 4Lo.

and for jimbob i dont know what to tell ya. i cant even read your text due to so many periods!

Oh... Ya I'm pretty sure the 4lo is what is doing it. Its more like a bump bump bump? It's only when you turn, right?

i had a clunking when i turn as well it turned out to be my front track bar was loose on the chasis side and when i tightened it down it was fine. mine would clunk even when jeep was stopped and you turn wheels from one side to other side. i had to use a 3 foot piece of pipe on my wrench to tighten it enough to stop clunking.. this may not be your problem but it only takes a minute to check. dont give up on it because more then likely it is only damaging something else

Oh... Ya I'm pretty sure the 4lo is what is doing it. Its more like a bump bump bump? It's only when you turn, right?
yea that is correct. whats causing it?

i had a clunking when i turn as well it turned out to be my front track bar was loose on the chasis side and when i tightened it down it was fine. mine would clunk even when jeep was stopped and you turn wheels from one side to other side. i had to use a 3 foot piece of pipe on my wrench to tighten it enough to stop clunking.. this may not be your problem but it only takes a minute to check. dont give up on it because more then likely it is only damaging something else
i addressed the track bar a few month ago i ended up welding the bracket to the axle and torqued the bolts down as tight as i could because they were loose. it did fix one noise but i dont recall what exactly... but i still get a noise when i turn. like what sweetpeet is saying. but it could still be that problem. i'll go back under today and check it out. i ran my phone over yesterday when i was loosing up the tension on my shackle bolts and leaf springs which helped with the stiffness of my ride.

Gentlemen - - Thanx A Lot - - For The Posts on This Thread! And Yes I'm Still Fighting this Issue. Clunking Noise Happens while driving - Most Noticeable While going in Say - - a Parking Lot While Going .Over those Speed bumps! Sounds like Shocks ! (But I also Think control arm bushings could be the cause) U-joints? Anyway still Going Through the Trouble shooting thing - -- apologies to those who DID NOT like the Periods. (Problem with the New Smartphone!) Met a FELLOW Jeep Guy today. - - He Had a : 2002 G. Cherokee- 4L - 4WD ! No Clunking Noises - - But : Brake Issues ( I Believe a common Issue). Also Electrical Issues - - Sensors - - TPS. Failure - - I Believe a NO START problem! I Will KEEP Plugging AWAY On this CLUNKING Noise - GOING To start With a BRAKE Inspection - and CHECK OUT those Shocks and Control Arm Bushings! Comments?

I Think We May Have Hit PAYDIRT With this ISSUE! I Took the JEEP In For a - - Brake Inspection. (Plan was to check suspension same time). The guy. I. Took the Jeep. Does FREE Brake Inspections! He. Put the Vehicle on. The Lift and checked the Brakes. - - Brakes OK! He DID Report That all FOUR Shocks NEEDED Replacement. Not Welcome News - - BUT NO SURPRISE! The next Issue he found - - Is ( I. Think!). The Clunking NOISE! The Problem is with the - Upper Rear Control Arm where it connects to The Differential. That makes it a - - Bad Ball Joint!! I. Had. Thought It Would Be Worn Bushings! But. NO. - it. LOOKS like the. Culprit is the - Ball Joint. We Have ordered The Part! Comments? Curious. IF the guy with. Wrangler Got his Problem solved? It. Sounded like. A suspension comp onent to me! But That Is just my TWO CENTS. Keep On Jeep'in! Feedback?

Back