Help Me! Transfer Case Questions.

Tug-n-pull

OK I have my 87 YJ 5 speed AX5 4 Banger on the rack putting in a new slave cylinder. While under the jeep looking around i find that there is ATF on the bottom of my Jeep. It looks like it is coming out of the back of the Slip Yoak at the Universal Joint. There seems to be a good amount of leakage going on there. There is no fluid on the back seal area of the transfer case. It all seems to be just coming out of the inside back croch of the slip yoak If that makes any sence at all. I am stumped as to how this could be but now is the time to fix it as I will have the transmission and case on the floor. Any idea at all would make me very happy. tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Feb 20, 2003 - 08:10 PM[addsig]

I had the time to search the answer on the fluids that I will need. During this time with it down do I need to put breather tubes on the transmission x case or both? If so how do I locate the breather outlet. Sorry to be so much trouble just at a loss here. Thanks again Tug[addsig]

Can't imagine it coming through the yoke, sounds like a bad output seal on the transfer case. Pretty common.

The tranfer case already has a vent hose, it's on top. Your AX5 may not have a vent, if it does it's on the shifter tower assembly, in front of the shift tower. It's a plastic cap similar to the one found on the end of the diff vent hoses.

My '95 AX5 had a vent, the '92 AX5 I just put in did not. Be interesting to see what the '91 AX5 has when I get it out. It was easy for me to switch the shift tower assembly from one transmission to the other, so I could keep the vent.

You can extend all these vents with tubing. Run them into the same tube and up to a dry area, cap with a plastic cap like what's on the diff breathers.[addsig]

do you have a slip yoke or a collapsable driveshaft??...if it's the collapsable driveshaft type like on a cj it could be lube from inside the driveshaft that seeped out...and that's really no big deal...i'm not very familiar with the slip type...but i had one on a suzuki and it seemed pretty sealed off around the transmission output...sorry i couldn't help more![addsig]

Thanks a bunch for your help I guess we will just look into in it a bit more. I hate to find new problems. tug[addsig]

Tug good luck, I hate finding new problems as well. When I lost my 4wd last week I checked for vacuum leaks and found none, Then bought a vacuum acuator for the front axle and still nothing :-x starting to get really frustrating. I think i'm gonna drop the trans and transfer case myself tomorrow to see what is going on.........Bullet[addsig]

Back