My '93 YJ switch mystery

M G D

According to my local Chrsyler/Jeep dealer I don't have one of these, no not that and get your minds out of the gutter.. shame on you. No, what I appearantly shouldn't have is a spring loaded plastic "stud or push pin" that passes through the drivers door piller, but I do & it looks stock. Clearly the switch appears that it's meant to trigger the interior lights just like in a real car & truck but.. there's nothing for it to push, it appears the corrosponding mechanism needed to make or break the circuit has been removed. I have small courtesy bulbs (poor light source) on both sides tucked up in the corners of the dash on either side however those are controlled by a "wheel" next to the headlight switch. Lot's of stock items have been "removed" from my jeep project, anyone have any idea what I'm missing? Be nice. Thanks MGD

There should be a spade connector on the backside of the plunger switch in the door jam, a wire simply connects to it in order to activate the lights under the dash.

And the easiest and cheapest way to keep the courtesy light and buzzer off when you take the doors off is to simply disconnect it, which may be why yours is not connected...

I have the same switches in my '95 YJ, but even with the wire plugged up they have never worked. My interior lights do work but only when turning them on from the dimmer switch. It's pretty annoying in the winter when I want those to work when the door opens.

My guess is that my switches are just bad.

Mine is and always has worked, when I had a rear view mirror, I swapped the stock one for a 93-02 F-body mirror (camaro or firebird) it adds two map lights and is a neg trigger switch, same as stock YJ. adds a poop more light to the interior.

my 93 has that switch on both sides, and they work. on the driver's side there is also a second stacked switch which which makes hte buzzer come on.

I figured out my door switch mystery, well actually an aquantance who's actually mechanical told me. The door switch is a normaly open ground switch, when the door open's it allow's the switch to close the ground circuit and the light comes on.. wow, now that's simplicity. Thanks to everyone for their answers, suggestions and experience. Keep'n on Jeep'n. MGD

Back