TJ instrument cluster beeping

Crazy4diesels

Hi everyone,

Any one else ever have this happen??? I was driving along and my instrument cluster started beeping (same as it does for the parking brake) . No lights were on and the gauges all were reading OK. I kept going until I found a safe place to pull over and when the Jeep got down to about 10 MPH the beeping stopped (I had planned to shut it off and restart it to see if it would "reset" but stopping seemed to do it) . It hasn't done that again. I assume the instrument cluster computer got a headache and just lost it's mind for a while??? My M38 has never done anything like this :lol:

-John

I've lived with an annoyance like this for several years now because I'm too cheap to buy a new instrument cluster. There is a "beeper" wired into the turn signal circuit that is supposed to beep as a reminder to turn off your turn signals if they are left on too long. Also by dropping below 16 mph seems to reset the beeper as well. My problem is that it starts beeping after my headlights are on for about 5 minutes or so. To stop the beeping I can either turn the headlights off, flick the left turn signal momentarily, or slow below 16 mph. I've chased wires, replaced parts, and even said a few choice words but to no avail. The least expensive fix I've found is to simply turn up the stereo.

Phil, I bet that's what happened to mine... I thought it stopped at about 10 MPH but it could have been 15. That makes sense. It must have gotten a false input somehow and "thought" the turn signal was on. I may pull the cluster and clean (and maybe grease) the "famous" connector back there - could be a sign of bad connections, maybe.

Mikey, there were no lights on at all and all gauges were OK. My ebrake lever is all exposed (yes, that's right... I have full ebrake lever nudity) and I first thought something might have shorted the little switch contact. But no short (and no brake warning light) .

Thank You, guys, for the responses - John

wifes liberty beeps if you leave gas cap off or if its not on right

I am having an occasional issue when I turn on my lights. I get the left turn signal indicator on solid, then I get the beeping. It turns of the beeping by turning off the lights or dropping speed as previously stated. After a little "jarring", it is fine for awhile. I am of the notion that the turn signal assembly is the culprit. I'll let you know if it solves the problem. As a side note, I have already taken out the instrument cluster and cleaned and tightened the connectors.

Back