Sway Bar???

Jeepr89

Short of crawling under my 89YJ Sahara how can I tell what size front sway bar I have???[addsig]

Are you running stock or have you lifted it and changes out your sway bar? tug[addsig]

:-D I also have an 89 Sahara. Of the 2 options, mine was the larger one - I had to measure it for new poly sway bar bushings from Quadratec. Hope that this helps![addsig]

It's stock but I'm thinking about the poly bushings for it. Jeepngeo: could you tell a difference after you installed the bushings???[addsig]

:roll: Honestly - no real difference. However, when I was replacing them they did look worn especially the end link bushings. I was unable to remove the top bushings ( the ones connected to the sway bar) with any tools that I had at home. So I just replaced the bottom link bushings and the bushings in the supports under the radiator (sway bar to frame connection. I am planning a lift in the near future so I figured that I would worry about the top bushings when I get the new links with the lift kit. They do add color which is a nice bonus. :cool: [addsig]

Swaybar? Don't run it on my YJ :roll: Never new they had to different diameters available. Do they say what two diameters the new bushings come in?[addsig]

Hey Bounty Hunter I want to at least try my YJ with out at least the rear sway bar but have no idea how much it would change the handleing. Does it make a big difference? Tug[addsig]

My front swaybar and rear trackbar have been sitting in the garage, propped up against a wall, for well over a year now... I don't miss em in the least... :-D [addsig]

Ya, my front swaybar and rear trackbar have been collecting dust in the garage for a couple of years now.

There is no rear swaybar, but you can remove the rear trackbar and see how you like it. You can also remove the front swaybar. You can always reinstall them if you don't like the ride.[addsig]

does the jeep get all tipsy and rollover type in the corners on the street with no sway bars?[addsig]

Mine didn't change too much. The only thing I kept was the front track bar, and many YJ owners even remove them. If you think about it, CJ's didn't have any track bars, and early ones didn't even have swaybars.

I'm keeping my front trackbar for two reasons:
  • The steering puts side-to-side forces on the front axle
  • Shackles in front of an axle will introduce side-to-side movement

There will be a little more lean without the swaybar, but you get used to it, and drive accordingly. After all, it's no sports car. Just need to enter turns slower, but not by much.

Not for an inexperienced/novice driver.[addsig]

Back