TheGhost45

hey guys i need help, im new to the forum and i cant decide on tires i was hoping i could get some opinions and real world experience.

im looking for 31x10.50R15 for now as entry level, it is a daily driver and a weekend offroader. and noise does not bother me! i kinda like it! :rolleyes:

the tires im stuck deciding on are:

Dick Cepek Crushers
Mickey Thompson MTZ's
Pro Comp Mud Terrain
BFG Mud Terrain KM (the first one, only problem tires have about 70% tread left)
Super Swamper SS M16's (scared of how they will wear couldn't find much on them)
Super Swamper Trxus MT (heard alot of bad wear, tread life sucks and dont balance well)
Pro Comp Xterrains (heard they wear like cheese :-|)
Super Swamper Thornbirds (would have to get it in a 31x11.00R16 also dont look like they would perform in mud very well due to closely spaced lugs)
Goodyear MT/R Kevlar (dad has them on his F150, Extremely Expensive dont want to spend a huge amount)

if you guys could give any info on how these perform for you that would be great.
on road, off road, tread life. any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

If it is a daily driver I would go with an AT tire for they will wear a lot better on the road and last you longer.AT does not do too bad off road either.I have a set of goodyear AT and have no complaints.They where on the Jeep when I bought it and seem to hold there own off road and run nice on road.

BFG mud terrainn arent too bad not so good on ice actually none of the tires you listed are good on ice x terrains were the worst tire than i have used in winter liked them for the summer decent road manners and pretty good offroad they did seem to wear quickly though have had good luck with Cooper Discoverer ST as a all purpose tire seems a little more aggressive than other all terrain tires and a little louder also

i've considered all terrains but when i do go offroad on the weekends im going to need a tire that will clean itself well, AT tires tend to cake up with mud or so i've noticed from my BFG AT's that came on the jeep, ice isnt a big issue for me im not worried about ice performance thats what i got my winters for there is no such thing as a MT thats good on ice, i guess what im looking for is something with good road manners decent tread life (30000-45000 or more if possible) and good off road capability that inlcudes rocks and mud, I dont think ill be playing in the sand to much.it needs to be an MT
:D

FALKEN wildpeak a/t are rated for 50,000 miles
its my first time using them so far doing great on the road. tire noise is pretty low, cant hear them unless i listen for them. they handle great on the very few dirt roads i've been on with them so far. and just took a trip to the snow and no slip.. handled good. and fairly priced. i got all 4 for $550.

TheGhost45 said:
i've considered all terrains but when i do go offroad on the weekends im going to need a tire that will clean itself well, AT tires tend to cake up with mud or so i've noticed from my BFG AT's that came on the jeep, ice isnt a big issue for me im not worried about ice performance thats what i got my winters for there is no such thing as a MT thats good on ice, i guess what im looking for is something with good road manners decent tread life (30000-45000 or more if possible) and good off road capability that inlcudes rocks and mud, I dont think ill be playing in the sand to much.it needs to be an MT
:D

Ats work awesome if you clean all you gotta do is get the wheels spinning i got em on my tow rig and got in a spot thought was stuck then remembered to clean the tires and poped right out

the goodyear duratrac mud terrains are great tires on and off road. i had them on my cherokee and they made no noise on the highway and dog through whatever i wanted them to dig through easily

.they are not on your list though

Honestly, for the needs that you have described it sounds like the BFG MTR's are the best performing tire that you've listed in my opinion. That said, some of the other options you mentioned will still perform quite well, and the BFG's are probably one of the most expensive options. The other consideration is that the KM 1's are getting hard to find in certain sizes if you would need a replacement (I have 32" KM1's on my TJ). I can tell you from experience that the KM1's offer TONS of grip in the mud and loose snow, but like virtually any MTR they suck on packed snow/ice. They do wear pretty well for a mud tire as long as you keep them rotated and at the proper pressure when on pavement.

Everyone keeps mentioning the duratracs to me but I'm still sketchy about them, the BFG MT's I really like, if I get a set they'll be cheap cause there off my buddy's Cherokee he rolled it last week while he was on a trail and he totaled it, so I told o would take the tires off his hands there 31's and there at about 70% tread life left, I'm still taking a huge interest in the Mickey Thompson MTZ's and the dick Cepek crushers have really got me interested cause they perform offroad like crazy and apparently run well on road and the tread life is supposed to be really good at least that's what I read on reviews.

As far as the Mickey Thompsons are concerned, the Crusher will perform a lot better in the mud and really loose stuff than the MTZs. The only downside of the Crushers that I've heard is that they're EXTREMELY loud, even for an MTR.

If I were in your shoes, if your friend will cut you a really good deal I'd get the BFG's and run them till they're worn out. Mud tires are expensive. FWIW, I got mine off of ebay, they were at 90-95% tread when I bought them, roughly $300 for a set of 4 (32x11.5x15) if I remember correctly - it's been a couple years.

Yeah I like the crushers alot I've heard them roll by a couple times it's a loud hum, I like the sound of it personally, yeah my buddy is probably gonna give me them for about 400$ but it's the whole 70% tread left thing were as to if I spend 400 more I get the crusher, are the BFG's noisy? Remember I like the noise! So if they are there's a plus, and they arent the km2's their the km's the first ones, you guys seem to like them so I might get those. Give me some more info on the BFG mt km I'd like to know about your experiences in mud and rock.

If you can get a deal on the BFGs take them they are a good tire for what you want.Maximum traction in mud look into boggers but dont expect any thing that resembles good road manners

I'm not going to expect anything like a bigger in the mud, the Crusher resembles a bogger and got a great review from JP magazine and 4 wheel offroad, and there's quite a few good reviews from offroaders.com, but everyone seems to like the bfgs so they might be my choice but if he wants more then 400 I'm not doing it, I'll go get crushers or Cepek mud countries. Or MTZ's

if you can get the bfgs for a good price take them. i like bfg and never had trouble with them before. i had 33's on a trooper.

the hum gets annoying on long trips. i have the whatever comes stock on the rubicons, some kind of goodyear mud tire, and it sucks on road trips. you have to really blast the radio and when you get where your going, you have a slight headache. every where is about 2.5 hours from me so going anywhere is a long road trip

I'm not going to expect anything like a bigger in the mud, the Crusher resembles a bogger and got a great review from JP magazine and 4 wheel offroad, and there's quite a few good reviews from offroaders.com, but everyone seems to like the bfgs so they might be my choice but if he wants more then 400 I'm not doing it, I'll go get crushers or Cepek mud countries. Or MTZ's

Yeah I think more than 400 would be way too much for the BFGs. Like I said I got a set of 4 BFG MTR KM1's for $300 off of ebay a couple years ago and they were 90-95%, so take that for what it's worth. I think what we're all sayin here is that you won't be disappointed with the Crushers if you decide to go that route but you'll also get great performance from the BFGs and you should be able to get them a lot cheaper which would leave you with some extra cash for other modifications if you want...but again, the Crushers are a good choice if you decide to go that route.

I Had the same problem When I first bought tires for my jeep i bought 33 mickey thompson mtz and pro comp rims all said and done I spent about 2 grand and they did great in mud and snow! Then summer hit and I started driving more on paved roads and soon realized that I was wearing down those expensive tires! So I recomend if you can afford it expecially if its a daily driver to by a second pair of AT or even highway tires. You wont regret it in the end cause the expensive tires will last alot longer!

Another bonus to the crushers they're a harder compound then the MTZ's so they'll last longer besides I'll be rotating every 3000miles (about 6000 km cause well I'm in Canada) and I will be rotating a spare into the mix (20% more tread life roughly) but I'm going to talk to my buddy about the BFG mt's and see if he will give me them for 400 but if it's a penny over there's no chance, even 400 seems like alot for a 31 with 70% tread left, but if he won't do it then I'll be going the crusher route.

I would try to get them lower too. I would have a hard time paying 400 for tires with a little over 1/4 tread gone already. See if he gives them for 250 or so since they are 31s too

Back