transfer case questions

Jeepster05

What kind of t case does a stock YJ come with? I'm thinking about converting to a twin stick. What are the pros and cons of it and how does it work?[addsig]

np231, not sure you can twin stick it
i have a twin stick on my dana 300, cost 100 bucks kinda cool, w/ 3 shifters now... but the old boot wont fit so i have a rubber floor mat cut to fit...i use 2 low alot[addsig]

np231, not sure you can twin stick it
i have a twin stick on my dana 300, cost 100 bucks kinda cool, w/ 3 shifters now... but the old boot wont fit so i have a rubber floor mat cut to fit...i use 2 low alot

I think he's right. If I remember correctly the 231 only has 1 shaft connected to the shift linkage so that would make it a bad candidate for twin stick. The Posi Lok will do essentially the same thing if you are using the 231. Doesn't look as cool but you still have low and high independent of the front if you happen to need it for some reason.[addsig]

Yes, NP231. Twin sticking this stock case would require serious fab work if at all possible. Just stick with what you got.[addsig]

You can get a 2lo conversion kit for the NP231, it just adds a 2lo notch to the shifter. Requires disassembly of the transfer case.

The posilok will NOT give 2lo if you run any type of locker in the front axle.[addsig]

The posilok will NOT give 2lo if you run any type of locker in the front axle.

If you dont engage the front axle why would a locker matter? The rear would still operate independent of the front from what I understand or am I missing something here?[addsig]

If you dont engage the front axle why would a locker matter? The rear would still operate independent of the front from what I understand or am I missing something here?

In 4lo power is still sent to the front axle via the driveshaft. Disengaging the pass. side axleshaft via the posi-lok will:
  • Open Diff: Torque will be sent path of least resistance, the disconnected pass. side axle shaft, thus you theoretically have 2lo
  • Locked Diff: Torque will be sent to path of most resistance, the driver's side wheel with traction, thus you have 3lo

3lo will cause the jeep to pull to the left under throttle, not a big deal as I do it often when turning on a tight trail.[addsig]

BTW I checked out your site SIJA since I live in Southeast Missour Just down the road from SNF. Looks like you guys are really organized over there. Keep up the good work.

edited by: GEAH, Feb 25, 2003 - 10:54 AM[addsig]

Cool, SEMO is just down the road. I used to go to school in Carbondale, and we went to SEMO a few times. Also had some friends in school down there. You'll have to join our forums and some trail rides in the Shawnee NF.

Here's an article on the Teraflex 2lo kit for the NP231J.
Here's another good one :-D [addsig]

Back