Power Steering Belt Removal/Adjustment

NeilF

I have an '88 Wrangler. I am trying to replace the belts (A/C-fan, fan-power steering and A/C-alternator). I cannot see an adjustment on the power steering that will allow be to move the pump and remove the belt. Any hints? Rumor has it that this is not the original engine for the vehicle. It is 6 cylinder carbureted, 5 speed manual. I believe it is 4.2 liter. Is there a number or ID on the engine that would allow me to confirm exactly what it is?

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to working on vehicles.

[addsig]

i can help you out i had the same prob 6 months ago on my straight six 4.2 Liter there is no ajustment you have to unbolt the dang thing all of the bolts it's kinda tough it took me awhile to figure out there was no ajustment let me know what happens. good luck! :cool: [addsig]

there is an adjustment bolt on the power steering or you would not be able to tighten the belt. I just replaced the one on my friends 89 yj with a 4.2L it's one that is right near the pulley wheel on the pump. You'll have to loosen the rest a little but you'll find it.[addsig]

I don't know if it's anything like one's on the 4.0L. If it is, look under the power steering pump and you will see a really long bolt going into a sort of square looking nut. This nut has 2 threaded holes in it. One coming in through the side which holds it in place and one where the long bolt goes through. Loosen off your power steering pump and the long bolt and your pump should move down loosening off your belt. Be careful with this nut with 2 holes, I have broken a few of them in half trying to tighten the thing up. I can't remember if the bolt holding it on has to be loose or tight when you loosen off the long bolt but if you get it wrong, it will crack the nut in half....I think they're about $3. each. This is for the 4.0L and I don't know if it's the same for your motor.

edited by: Craig, Feb 26, 2003 - 12:44 AM[addsig]

Carriss you were right. There is no adjustment. My cousin said I could do it by loosening all the bolts but I ended up taking them all out. I little dicey getting them all back in (aligning each one)...but I got it done. I guess the engine is much older than an '88. My book shows the adjustments described by others...but I don't have one. THanks for your input.[addsig]

I have an 88 wrangler and just replaced my 3 belts. You just have to loosen all the nuts and bolts the bracket that bolts to the engine not the ones holding the actual pump. You may have to ue a pry bar or big scwerdriver but it can be adjusted.[addsig]

Back