Im a newb to the jeep world so I have two questions about a 1972 CJ5

danielsholly

First how can you find out the original color of your jeep? I cant tell on the one I have if its original or not??? and didnt know if there was a way that you could find out. Also the Plastic fender flares were they an option on certain models or an extra option you could have if you wanted back in 1972 or add ons in the later years? I have seen some with them and seen some without and so I guess the spare tire would have to go somewhere and where does it go if there were plastic flares???:???: Think thats it for now. I am restoring my 1972 to an all original look it has a meyer steel top deluxe cab that came with it as an option in 72' and the engine has 10,500 original miles on it all stock but tires, front two seats. and im not for sure on the paint? jeep dont need much to be all original again. and trust me need alot of help to where to find the stuff bc its kind of hard but then again kind of easy...lol..I just dont know what was original and what wasnt to a certain degree so Im learning :)

On your paint I've notice that if you get in places like windshield fold or under dash you'll find the first paint and maybe in the vin if you run decoder on it. I'm not sure bout flare Q you had. Here's a pic I found online think it's the year your looking for good luck

Attachments

• image-3557887957.png
    image-3557887957.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,516
Thank you It looks like the original paint was that butterscotch orange glove box gave it away unless the paint is chipping and that was what they used as primer back then i dunno?? its def been repainted im pretty sure of it and wondering if it was a renegade or not before it was repainted I have decoded then VIN 3 times once was professional and still cant find the original color of this thing.Im not real sure about the flares either?? Im stuck now and have been on google constantly on the renegade options in 1972 but cant find anything on the specs it did come with 10000 lb factory winch and the meyer steel top and doors I know that for sure.

danielsholly said:
First how can you find out the original color of your jeep? I cant tell on the one I have if its original or not??? and didnt know if there was a way that you could find out. Also the Plastic fender flares were they an option on certain models or an extra option you could have if you wanted back in 1972 or add ons in the later years? I have seen some with them and seen some without and so I guess the spare tire would have to go somewhere and where does it go if there were plastic flares???:???: Think thats it for now. I am restoring my 1972 to an all original look it has a meyer steel top deluxe cab that came with it as an option in 72' and the engine has 10,500 original miles on it all stock but tires, front two seats. and im not for sure on the paint? jeep dont need much to be all original again. and trust me need alot of help to where to find the stuff bc its kind of hard but then again kind of easy...lol..I just dont know what was original and what wasnt to a certain degree so Im learning :)

All the info you need IS on THE VIN NUMBER.... WRITE IT DOWN AND GO TO your nears dealer....and they can tell you

I found it original color was butterscotch gold. I decoded the numbers that are stamped under the hood on passenger side.

I found it original color was butterscotch gold. I decoded the numbers that are stamped under the hood on passenger side.

Yes the vin is where to do your research. Do you have any pics of your 72? great year. I have a 73 but far from stock looking.

As to the fender flare question...they were a popular add on & dealer option in the "70s....I have a factory picture of a "72 Renegade with them on it so they would have been available as a dealer option in "72...The Renegade came with a rear mounted spare which also could be added as a dealer option to non-Renegade Jeeps. Hope that helps! I'd like to see some pictures of your "72

I was wrong on the milage this is a diffrent speedometer than what I have been seeing on other 72's...But I bet it has less than 70K for sure...I love this thing I decided not to go all original and about to mod it out any suggestions on the soft top...tires..lift...ect??? any info would be great! The only reason being so is bc the milage im not for sure what the actual is???

0181-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

0072-1.jpg

0061-1.jpg

0031-1.jpg

Nice looking CJ. I think your best bet is to decide how you want to use your Jeep & then modify it accordingly. I looks good in the pictures & if the mileage is as low as you believe it should be useable without much work.Get it street & trail ready & then take it out & have some fun....you'll soon have a head full of ideas & you'll gain experience & skill along the way.Too many people get a Jeep & start throwing parts on it "jus' cuz" & never develop their off road driving skills to match.(sorry for the rambling-rant)

LOL...Well I probably will be selling the top here when it gets warmer and going on with a soft top...Im not for sure yet.I know how hard these meyers tops are hard to come by..but it just might happen. The jeep is registered and inspected until the end of next year...and the only offroading it will see is at the mud park sit up on a hill and watching everyone else mess up their expensive toys...hahahaha...I plan on doing a few trail rides here and there...the only off roading I have ever done was in my 750 brute force...I dont like to tear up something I have invested so much money into ya know...haha

I used this diagram. I have a 74 cj5 and foun out my paint code was 509. Googled it and found out my original color was Renegade Plum.

Attachments

• image-1409256496.jpg
    image-1409256496.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,240
Last edited:
LOL...Well I probably will be selling the top here when it gets warmer and going on with a soft top...Im not for sure yet.I know how hard these meyers tops are hard to come by..but it just might happen. The jeep is registered and inspected until the end of next year...and the only offroading it will see is at the mud park sit up on a hill and watching everyone else mess up their expensive toys...hahahaha...I plan on doing a few trail rides here and there...the only off roading I have ever done was in my 750 brute force...I dont like to tear up something I have invested so much money into ya know...haha

Dan,
I have a bestop for that jeep that I want to go away. I'm looking for about $350. if you're interested.

go to jeep4x4center.com. they have a lot of stuff. bought my windshield from them for 89 bucks

Back