1989 YJ Starting Problem (HELP!!!)

sithud

Hello, I am having a issue with my jeep stalling when I first start the motor. It is the 2.5 4 cylinder motor. The first time it was doing this it would not crank at all, so we replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter thinking it was not getting gas to the throttle body because you could spray started fluid into it and the jeep would run until it burnt off the fluid. Anyway, the problem still was there (not starting). We took the jeep to a local mechanic who replace the fuel pump relay. Now the jeep will start, but you have to hold your foot of the pedal to get it going, or else the motor will stall at startup. It runs great after you start it. What should I do? The jeep only has 35,000 mile on it! It shouldn't be having these issues. Should I try to clean the throttle body? Any suggestions from someone who has worked on issues such as this will be appreciated!:???::x

Check the idle step motor on the throttle body. My Jeep was doing the same thing. I had to hold the gas pedal to start it. Replacing the step motor fixed it.

Thanks, I have it in the shop now. The shop is doing testing and they seem to think it is the step motor.

Back