1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ Motor

SchneiderJeep

I have a 2.5L 1900 Jeep Wrangler YJ motor that was taken out of the original jeep to build a huge rock crawler. I had no desire to take on such a project but mine is still advanced for my skill level. I have a 1957 CJ5 which I want to put this fuel injected four cylinder into. The thought is that I will have some fuel economy while still putting a motor in my jeep which roughly has twice the horse power than the stock 134 F-head. My problem has been that since I don't have to worry about smog, or most of the other sensors associated with the 1990 era requirements. Where or how can I find a wiring diagram of the minimal requirements to make this motor run like it did stock without the stock transmission or transfer case? Is this even possible?

You are going to need all the sensors in order for that motor to run correctly. Best to find a wiring harnes and computer from a similar YJ.

I have a question.
suppose a Luddite wants to lean back a couple degress in time...

How different are the blocks?
my 95 2.5 still has the mechanical fuel pump boss in the casting suggesting it's been used for a while wearing different mustouches.
I'm assuming you could go with an older distributor to bypass the crank sensor and computer sparker. anyone try to mount a carb and bypass the FI?

are the intake/ex manifold bolt patterns wildly different?

the newer engine (I'm guessing) has bigger valves and peppier compression and you don't get sucked into the black hole of electro gizmos.

try it out. i cannot tell you on jeeps but i did that on a bmw and got way more power and better gas mileage out of my little 81 318. try it out and let us know

The 2.5 was designed as a Fuel Injected engine....I think it would be much easier/better to use all the electronics than to try & reengineer the intake etc.

I have a regulated altenator from a 1990 jeep. Im using it in a 1995 yj that has a regulator in the ECU. Can i bypass this? It's. A delco alternator.

If they haven't figured it out in 5 and a half years, they're probably not going to lol.

As for your other question, I recommend starting a new thread in the Wrangler tech section.

Back