What is the best Wrangler model to buy used?

I'm looking into buying a Jeep Wrangler used, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats the best model or year I should buy. Also I wanted to know if high mileage is bad on Wranglers. I'm looking to spend under $10,000.

I have a YJ '93 that is like new if your interested in something like that? email me and I'll send you info an pictures if you'd like to see it and know more about it.. thanks.. wayne frhrwa@embarqmail.com

You should be able to get a pretty good Jeep for $10K. Remember, what you pay is a starting point because you will want to add stuff and they say "Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket" for a reason.

Stuff on a Jeep adds value much less than the cost to buy and install the stuff, so look for one with big ticket items already installed to save big bucks. Lift kits, axel work, and winches come to mind.

Mileage is just an indicator. A high mileage but well maintained Jeep can be a better deal than low mileage poorly maintained vehicle.

frhrwa said:
I have a YJ '93 that is like new if your interested in something like that? email me and I'll send you info an pictures if you'd like to see it and know more about it.. thanks.. wayne frhrwa@embarqmail.com

Buy the YJ... its what I got. And im really happy with it. Anything newer than that is more likely to be over 10k unless there's something wrong with it. Also, in my experience, high mileage isn't really a huge deal as long as its been well maintained and cared for. Especially on the 4 cyl. Motors. They can take some serious abuse. Before I got a jeep I had owned a bunch of subarus (really good cars, don't tell anyone I said that) and they all had 4 cyl in em. My last one was still running great when I sold it with 291000 miles, and the one before that got up to 386000 miles on all original motor before it only blew a head gasket..... anyway.... buy a YJ!

Honestly get something newer if you can find a tj do it! And if you can find a rubicon even better, I have a yj and they get expensive with all the mods, not knocking the yj I love mine but depending on your uses, I say get a tj. It's newer and you can get them with the 4.0L or the 2.5L both invincible engines, well not 100% true but about 95% true. Make sure you look at condition check out all parts that have been added and whatever else.

Depending on what you want I have seen quite a few tj's around my town for that price I think that would be best be it has newer interior and the coil suspension is much Smoother ride down side if you want to get into long travel lifts it gets really pricey although coil suspension will almost always out flex leaf I have an old cj and I love it but that's cause I'm into the old stuff but eventhough I got it for cheap I will probably have over 10g's in it when I'm done restoring and get all my suspension and axle work done

-93 YJ Perfect condition, all "black" and looks like brand new, new interior, hardtop, soft top, bimini top, full metal doors, 1/2 metal doors, and soft doors included (all new).. 2.5L gets terrific mileage and has about 8000 miles on it or less, transmission/transfer in perfect condition, basically the jeep is like new.. can send pic's if you send me an email address.. (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Attachments

• 1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 1.jpg
    1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 50,462
  • 1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 2.jpg
    1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 44,894
  • 1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 4.jpg
    1993 jeep Wrangler Renegade 4.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 43,492

What vdo you want the jeep for? Everyone can tell you buy this and buy that but without your thoughts on what you want it for, we are just telling you what we want or have

Sorry for the delayed reply,

Well I am looking to get my jeep for just basic travel, to and from school, to and from work, stuff like that.

I'm not really into the jeep lingo tho haha, I dont really know what you guys mean by saying the YJ or CJ's haha I'm sorry, But I am from MASS and this would be my second car I have owned and my current car is a Chrystler PT Cruiser.....

I also need it to be good on gas =]

I just bought an 05 SE for just under 10 grand. Has 90K on it and looks awesome. It has a 4 banger, which is what I wanted for economy. The 05 is the first year of the 6 speed manual, and that transmission is awesome. The thing has great power for a 4cyl. I have no problem hitting 65 by the end of the onramps. I have seen the 4 bangers with 180K on them running like a top. If you are looking to raise the rig and put big tires on it, a 6cyl may, well, will be better. Watch Craigslist. I have found 97s with under 50K for around 7995, which is a steal.

If I had 10 k I would buy a scrambler and use the rest for modifications!!! I have always wanted one and one day i will have one. Eventually!!!!!

Cj would be 1986 I think and older tj is 87-96 (square headlights) tj 97-06 jk 07- current I may be alittle off in the years but pretty close a 4cyl tj would make a great daily driver also 91 "I think" and newer yj has a nice fuel injected 4 cyl my friends got one with 258k and it been a wheeler for the last 60 or 70k which is a lot of abuse original motor still runs great

for what you want, is what i have mine for. totally stock 87 wrangler with 6 cylinder and auto transmission

87-96 is the yj not tj my friend, and if you want it to be good on gas you better just stick to your pt cruiser.

Sorry for the delayed reply,

Well I am looking to get my jeep for just basic travel, to and from school, to and from work, stuff like that.

I'm not really into the jeep lingo tho haha, I dont really know what you guys mean by saying the YJ or CJ's haha I'm sorry, But I am from MASS and this would be my second car I have owned and my current car is a Chrystler PT Cruiser.....

I also need it to be good on gas =]

Sounds like you want a commuter vehicle. Personally I'd go with a 97 or newer Jeep Wrangler. You won't see more than 19 miles per gallon out of any Wrangler though - my 2005 doesn't even get 15.

Wranglers have reliable engines, so I wouldn't worry as much about high mileage, as long as it's been maintained. The automatic transmission is normally seen as the weakest part (I haven't had any problems with mine @ 86K miles).

TheGhost45 said:
87-96 is the yj not tj my friend, and if you want it to be good on gas you better just stick to your pt cruiser.

Yeah it was late I messed that up that's why I put tj twice oops thank you for the correction

My wife just bought an 05 pt cruiser touring edition. What a fun little car that gets great gas mileage. So we are in the boat you will be in, a good gas mileage pt and a fun wrangler

Back