TJ immobiliser wont disarm

zimgerald

Hi Guys, have a really irritating problem. I parked the car last night, tried to start this morning but the key fob will not disarm immobilizer. The sentry light on the dash still stays on no matter how many times I push the unlock button or how close I hold the Key Fob. Tried replacing the batteries but no luck either. It has done this once before but worked again after much cursing and waiting on the side of the road. The vehicle is a RHD UK spec, built in 97 but sold in 98. Fitted anew battery a couple weeks ago, but have had no problems till now. Could the ecu have deleted the key codes even now?

98 TJ with a key fob?. That's new to me. The power lock option was not in the U.S. spec. until the JK body wranglers. The VTSS however was available in both domestic and imports. If your key is gray in color, that would be what the VTSS would look for to confirm an authorized ignition key cycle. Check to see if the remote you have has any logo or name on it to verify if that's a factory or aftermarket unit.

Ok, in the wiring going into the drivers door, there should be a purple wire. Find it, peal back alittle insulation and use another piece of wire and ground it. That should disable it and let you start it.
This worked for me on a grand cherokee. So I can't guarantee it'll work for you, but it might be worth a shot.
Good luck

Thanks Guys. My wrangler is a soft top. No central locking so no wires to the doors, just the immobiliser and a tell tale LED on the dash. It isolates the start circuit I think and something else, as it will start and run if I push it but then cuts off in a couple of seconds. It is a standard Chrysler one similar to the ones on the Cherokee (black with 2 buttons) why the factory would fit such a stupid piece of equipment on a vehicle that is designed to spend its life off road and in the bush!

Thanks Guys. My wrangler is a soft top. No central locking so no wires to the doors, just the immobiliser and a tell tale LED on the dash. It isolates the start circuit I think and something else, as it will start and run if I push it but then cuts off in a couple of seconds. It is a standard Chrysler one similar to the ones on the Cherokee (black with 2 buttons) why the factory would fit such a stupid piece of equipment on a vehicle that is designed to spend its life off road and in the bush!

Ahh i see. I didn't know they used that on the export jeeps. If i remember correctly, that's the EVSII system or something similar that is a mopar system. If the system is set up the same , you can disarm it by removing the bypass module on the ignition. It's usually tucked under the steering column area in a black box with a EVS marking on it. If you unplug both ends of the module and connect the body harness to the ignition switch, this will eliminate the VTSS all in all.

I've never heard of any kind of key fob system on a 98 wrangler, I installed one on mine, manly for the remote start for those cold mornings.

Apparently these immobilisers were fitted only upon arrival in the UK. I had no option but to take the Heep to the dealer yesterday to interrogate the ecu, they found an open circuit which was repaired, re-coded the key-fobs and all going again!

Thanks for the help guys, it is appreciated.

Back