91 yj ford king pin d60 beginer

:DHey im lookin for sum help n ideas thats it. u dont like how it looks do urs diff. I made those brackets myself(still need to b trimed n fitted 100percent b4 i weld them on) n will not raise the jeep just move leafs outward. Also they will use the outside exsiting hager/braket the only reson i said soa wit the lift spring cause there on there n i dont have the originals nd i think the rear will b to high 4 sua in frunt the rear shackles r made 4 mock up purpose only and i just picked up the axles its -20 normally n im doing all work alone no heat in shed n lotsa snow outside so save the scawy coments 2 urself. the project hasnt even begun im just gathering parts n info im 22 own my own house and im suporting my commin law and 1 mounth old daghter while laid off and trying 2 make shure every dosent turn 2 rust this is my work space:cry:

Attachments

• Wills iphone pics 015.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 459
Lol, no not from an astro van I would much prefer using the Durango :p

The two boxes serve two different purposes. The Durango box has a variable ratio and conventional pitman rotation so it is a good upgrade for a stock to 3" stretch WB. The Astro van box is a direct bolt on replacement and is used in longer WB stretches such as 5" or more because it has a reverse rotation sector shaft so the pitman can face or point forward. Pointing the pitman forward corrects the interference issues between the tie rod and the drag link on long front WB stretches. The standard rotation boxes can't do that without a lot of mods to the steering, or going full hydraulic steer. As far as strength there is nothing weak about the Astro box compared to the Durango or Jeep box.

I would imagine the Durango would be better though wouldn't it? Seeing as it's off a bigger vehicle as to say an astro or jeep, also would the same thing be in a safari? I think that's the chevy one...and you said the astro would be good for 5" and up? And the Durango 3" and down? Would any of the two be good for a 4"? Cause I want a 4" lift kit, and at some point in my time I'm planning to trim a little to probably fit 37's and wouldn't mind upgraded power steering.

this is a pic of the front fully compressed i got 33''s, 4''lift springs, stock steering except droped pitman arm i trimed quite a bit i bought my jeep with the lift nd tires but the bump stops look stock n in original spots if u dont want to eat ur fenders ull have to do sumthin about it but ur steering is fine im strickly tral ride so crushed, bent or straight up demolished sheet metal dont bug me just bend it back or cut it out n weld in sum new stuff

Attachments

• pics from iphone 104.JPG
    pics from iphone 104.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 474
Last edited:
I would imagine the Durango would be better though wouldn't it? Seeing as it's off a bigger vehicle as to say an astro or jeep, also would the same thing be in a safari? I think that's the chevy one...and you said the astro would be good for 5" and up? And the Durango 3" and down? Would any of the two be good for a 4"? Cause I want a 4" lift kit, and at some point in my time I'm planning to trim a little to probably fit 37's and wouldn't mind upgraded power steering.

The 3" and less and 5" and up isn't referring to lift height. He's talking about stretching the wheelbase up front.

X2 what xjmarc said, front wheelbase stretch not lift.
As far as strength the two boxes are about equal. My TJ is very nose heavy; I have a Cummins 4bt, winch, 1 tons, and max tire is a 41 and the Astro box has worked fine and steers easily.

ok so wen i put on the new ps box i will also need the res. and pump aswell because my jeep came with no power steering can i use one from a yj or try to make the 1 from a durango or astro fit(depending on ps box used?) every 1 doin this swap just needed the ps box i need the whole set-up
also anyone have more info on swaping master cyninder with 1984/86(around that year) E350 i know u gotta do a lil grinding n drill out the holes to 9/16 but thats it

Yes you need the whole setup, I would use a PS pump and reservoir from a 2.5l YJ engine, get one from a junk yard with all the brackets etc. Then it will be a bolt on deal.
Do an internet search on Jeep brake upgrades. There is a lot if info out there. I used a late 1970's Mercury Marquis 4 wheel disc brake master cylinder.

the astro van box is usually used if the front axle is shifted forward too much for a steering box with a rearward facing arm to work,all these boxes are a saiginaw design (i think)

the astro van box is usually used if the front axle is shifted forward too much for a steering box with a rearward facing arm to work,all these boxes are a saiginaw design (i think)

Correct, they are all saginaw boxes.

To the OP regarding your steering, If I were you, I would look for an entire stock set up, hoses, pump, steering gear etc.. get all that installed and working, then consider a box upgrade. honestly, you may not need to upgrade to a durango box. the stock YJ box is not a bad unit. the TJ people are the ones generally upgrading, Supposedly the tj box has some manufacturing issues that the YJ box did not.

Correct, they are all saginaw boxes.

To the OP regarding your steering, If I were you, I would look for an entire stock set up, hoses, pump, steering gear etc.. get all that installed and working, then consider a box upgrade. honestly, you may not need to upgrade to a durango box. the stock YJ box is not a bad unit. the TJ people are the ones generally upgrading, Supposedly the tj box has some manufacturing issues that the YJ box did not.

Thats the kinda answer i was lookin 4 thanks!!:) I think ill try that n c how it is after the d60s n aprox. 40'' tires if it aint good enough ll try the durango, or the astro if i strech the frount 5''or more. as for the mc up grade i think ill go with sumthin newer n easyr 4 me 2 find. I read sum where a 2000 ram 2500 is a direct fit no grinding or drillin holes bigger. im gunna check up some more n c wut i come across

Doesn't matter what kind of box you run, 40s on the trail will be a bit of a chore to turn especially if you have a locker.

well right now im runnin 33s with no power steering and im not a big fan of it so as long as it dosent get worse:lol: im guessing with p/s n 38''-42''s i wont be workin much harded then i am now or might even b easyr 2 steer i hope i can get by on hopes n dreams:rolleyes:

I have power steering and turning mine at low speeds on the trail is often hard and takes two hands and I'm only running 37s.

ok so looks like im startin the tear down and do it all. my original plan was do it a lil at a time n drive a lil inbetwen. but i was out 4 a ride with a buddy nd long storie short we had apox 1000' to go to road wen my clutch droped its fluid, reverse gear blew/striped, my 10 000lb winch broke and since i havent bin on this trail in a while i got off course(i saw a road n just wanted 2 make it home) cops on snowmobiles showed up n laught at us while they wrote up tresspasing tickets. so 2morrow i hope they dont show up while i fix my winch n try 2 get home n wen i finally do get it home its not goin back out till i install the 5.2l i got in the shed with a np435(still need), rebuild my transfer case, d60s,power steering, bigger mc nd find tires in 40'' range I hope i get my job back nd summer comes QUICK!!! hopes n dreams wont cut it, found that out earlyr!!! in the end im still smilein ill take sum pics 2morrow n show u how stupid i am

I'm still stuck on this one previous pic, can you tell me what's going on with 2 sets of leaf springs?
7316d1297358724t-91-yj-ford-king-pin-d60-beginer-wills-iphone-pics-012.jpg

I'm still stuck on this one previous pic, can you tell me what's going on with 2 sets of leaf springs?
7316d1297358724t-91-yj-ford-king-pin-d60-beginer-wills-iphone-pics-012.jpg
ok ill do my best 2 explain. So im doing a 3/4 eliptical rear leafsping set-up(u no this but 4 ne1 who dosent), which mean the shackle is mounted to 1/2 a leafspring that gets mounted to the frame rail in the pic my current susp. is bolted in. So the main leaf (laying in snow) is just hanging off the extra 1''or so of bolt thats sticking out past the nut thats holding current leaf in place and the 1/2 leaf is just pushed through the shackles so i can c how much longer the new spring is side by side(without taking it off) and how far it ''protrudes'' out the rear so i can take mesurements 4 the bumper nd bump stops so 1/2 leaf dosent bend/fold up shakles r a joke i no :lol: i just wanted to c how low spring would hang aprox. n such i only made the 1 set/ 2 of them. just 2 hold um 2gether while i day dreamed. So wut do u think? oh n i no theres at least a lil rust every where and alot in sum spots lol but 20 years in canada will do it :)

Well i did get it home after 2 days, 6 buddies n a new 10 000lb winch. warrenty:D covered it kinda supriseing lol but since i blew reverse im tearin it down 2 the frame and rebuilding it into sumthing a lil different with a budget but im not throwin it together with scrap metal, still not shure how much acctual jeep will stick around but im guessing not much. but the 1 thing i dont wanna do myself without being 3oo percent is the roll cage given the fact it will b used. havent rolled it yet but way to close a couple times. Is there ne kits that bolt 2 frame or should i start saveing to getsum1 pro 2 build me 1 thats gose bumper 2 buper like a exo cage or wutev. there called if i could find a tube chase 4 CHEEP ill throw the v8 n d60 at that n do sumthin else with jeep??? WOW options i should start a new post lol WUT TO DO WITH D60's ND V8 make a big jeep or just go all out n make a buggie, with a jeep grill of couse what 2 do oh wut 2 do life is hard ;)

Back