91 yj ford king pin d60 beginer

Willy Beamin

Ok i finally got a hp d60 king pin style ford front axle. But i got a whole lotta questions!!:roll: First is the axle came with duli hubs i need to change that was told it was easy but i dont no where to start. Second i wanted to keep it full width nd im broke/cheep/laid-off so im sticking with the 4" lift leafsprings i have on now and outboad the spring at the frame. The perch for the leaf spring is on the pumpkin cant move it.(will post many pics very soon) i have made my own brakets and i will weld them on. this will give aprox. 10'' of lift over stock and with 40'' tires haveing no power steering may b an issue:lol: (its allready bad) what are sum options cheaper then the psc hydralic stuff? also i would like to get all parts together so i can have shortest possible install time(gotta keep off-roadin) and i wanna keep the 2.5l for a lil longer (got a 5.2l magnum in shed but need transmission and ext.) The axles came with 4.10's so i think the jeep will still move in 4-lo till i get the v8 :D and brakes???? can i just hook up the jeep brake lines bleed the systeme n hope there good enough:shades: (this is stricktly a bush beater no road driveing) i can use the gears to slow down :lol:

Sounds like a cool build, sorry I don't have any info for yeah man just wanted to say awesome, oh actually do you think you could get a power steering system out of a big truck? ie F250-F350 or perhaps a chevy or dodge heavy duty, not sure if it would work never researched it but I'm sure you could make it work to some degree.

i heard something about using a astro van steering box and booster on soa lifts. i havent done it personally though just heard about it. look on pirate 4x4 and search it. sounds like your building a sweet rig man.

I run a Durango steering box and can turn 38s with one finger. I plan to tap it and use a co-op ram, cause I'm broke too, for hydro assist. 40s, 4.10s and a 4 banger is going to be a slug even in 4lo.

will the durango box work on a yj?

Thanks alot i checked up on the durango ps box sounds perfect 4 me. but i dont have a actual pump(no power steering at all) could i buy a bracket with the pump/res and get a longer belt to drive it? the installs i saw just needed the ps box i need every thing:???:

Haven't been out wheeling yet, I'm still young and have my jeep put away for the winter, learning everything I possibly can and doing all my upgrades throughout the winter I'm building a custom front bumper tomorrow, and Im going wheeling alot this summer, I'm going to go up around parry sound and up near sudbury, there's a couple spots near Milton and my dads mechanic who also owns a jeep is going to take me out where he goes (not sure where yet) I live in Kitchener right now. I'm so excited to bring my jeep out after all the upgrades.

The durango steering box will fit and is pretty much a swap job. You could put in a Astro box, but you will need at least 6" of stretch up front, the box isa saganaw box like most jeeps, fords, and chevys, but it pivots the pitman arm in teh opposit direction (pointing forward instead of rear ward.)

As for the actual steering, being SOA you will have to at a minimum havea histeer arm on teh pass side. the drag link can just go from knuckle to knuckle.

For the YJ, the brake master you need is from an 1986 E350 (the dodge doesn't line up on the YJ booster as well) you will need a 9/16 drill to drill out the mounting holes and you will need to slightly grind down the outer edge of the the mounting ears, but it is not even close to as hard it might sound.

DRW hubs.. you have a couple options.
-you can either have your DRW machines down to SRW hubs drill out the treaded mounts to accept standard wheel studs.
-Find a D60 front SRW axle and grab the hubs
-Find a TTB f-250 and snag those hubs, they are interchangable.

the last option is probably the easiest.

as for SOA on a 4" spring to a 40" tire.. that is very very high. i would recommend nothing greater than a 1.5" lift spring on a SOA. depending on the year of the axle, you will have to out board the springs, depending on how creative you are, it is not that hard. if it we me, I would locate the rear mount and weld them to the frame, adding support and gussets where needed, then I would fab up the shackle hanger to fit under the bumper somehow, obviously the bumper would need to be pretty heavy duty.

The durango steering box will fit and is pretty much a swap job. You could put in a Astro box, but you will need at least 6" of stretch up front, the box isa saganaw box like most jeeps, fords, and chevys, but it pivots the pitman arm in teh opposit direction (pointing forward instead of rear ward.)

As for the actual steering, being SOA you will have to at a minimum havea histeer arm on teh pass side. the drag link can just go from knuckle to knuckle.

For the YJ, the brake master you need is from an 1986 E350 (the dodge doesn't line up on the YJ booster as well) you will need a 9/16 drill to drill out the mounting holes and you will need to slightly grind down the outer edge of the the mounting ears, but it is not even close to as hard it might sound.

DRW hubs.. you have a couple options.
-you can either have your DRW machines down to SRW hubs drill out the treaded mounts to accept standard wheel studs.
-Find a D60 front SRW axle and grab the hubs
-Find a TTB f-250 and snag those hubs, they are interchangable.

the last option is probably the easiest.

as for SOA on a 4" spring to a 40" tire.. that is very very high. i would recommend nothing greater than a 1.5" lift spring on a SOA. depending on the year of the axle, you will have to out board the springs, depending on how creative you are, it is not that hard. if it we me, I would locate the rear mount and weld them to the frame, adding support and gussets where needed, then I would fab up the shackle hanger to fit under the bumper somehow, obviously the bumper would need to be pretty heavy duty.

Thank you very much thats alota help!!! as for the lift im not 2 shure myself! lol I would just like the frount to match the rear. Thats where u might laugh at me n tell me 2 think of sumthin else but i wana b different :D so in the rear im planing a 3/4 eliptical useing mazda b300 leafsprings fliped so my axle is pushed back about 9'' The 1/4 eliptical leaf spring will have bump stops located off the rear bumper to limit over flexing while compressed Sooo i have no idea how high this will sit but i plan on mocking it all in place sumtime soon, now i was thinking to prevent wheel hop i will run sua in rear with track bars (it all looks good in my head:shades: got sum drawn up) i can change alot with diff shackle lenghths add or remove leafs ext. like i said b4 im laid off right now n this is my only toy right now so im not ripping it apart right now just gathering parts n info i also live in canada with no shop I lay in the snow while workin on ma baby my shed is only about 10x10 i do have a lotta tool but not like a shop

Willy Beamin said:
Thank you very much thats alota help!!! as for the lift im not 2 shure myself! lol I would just like the frount to match the rear. Thats where u might laugh at me n tell me 2 think of sumthin else but i wana b different :D so in the rear im planing a 3/4 eliptical useing mazda b300 leafsprings fliped so my axle is pushed back about 9'' The 1/4 eliptical leaf spring will have bump stops located off the rear bumper to limit over flexing while compressed Sooo i have no idea how high this will sit but i plan on mocking it all in place sumtime soon, now i was thinking to prevent wheel hop i will run sua in rear with track bars (it all looks good in my head:shades: got sum drawn up) i can change alot with diff shackle lenghths add or remove leafs ext. like i said b4 im laid off right now n this is my only toy right now so im not ripping it apart right now just gathering parts n info i also live in canada with no shop I lay in the snow while workin on ma baby my shed is only about 10x10 i do have a lotta tool but not like a shop

I can't wait till you finish this.... I wanna see how if turns out

jakec said:
i heard something about using a astro van steering box and booster on soa lifts. i havent done it personally though just heard about it. look on pirate 4x4 and search it. sounds like your building a sweet rig man.

I don't think I could bring myself to put something in my jeep from one of those.. Lol

thanks again here sum pics hope there ok!! Ohh ya I dont think i could use sumthin from an astro van ether :lol: but thanks the pics r of the frunt out board brackets that will use half the old mount and the rear new leafs just hangin in place everything about this is budget redneck style nd im proud!!! first build im 22 n everything i no i learned from websites like this n just tryin to figure it out on my own

Attachments

• Wills iphone pics 001.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 396
  • Wills iphone pics 003.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 600
  • Wills iphone pics 006.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 006.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 319
  • Wills iphone pics 007.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 007.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 426
  • Wills iphone pics 012.JPG
    Wills iphone pics 012.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 594
Being different doesn't always mean your doing it right, or that you are useful.

the way you are out boarding the spings is already adding a couple inches over stock couple that with a 4" spring and SOA, you lift height is gonna be about 13" or so. Way too High.

Your outboarding idea is adequate if you are running a fairly flat spring in SOA, and should fit a 40" tire with out issue. they look like either the ruff stuff or BTF kit. BUT not sure whats going on for the rear or the shackles, but that is some scary looing sh!t.

Also FYI, the astro box from a 95-01 astro rwd van is the same case and design as the jeep box, just beefier internals and a different pitman swing.

Back