Viair installation in a TJ/LJ

Ted_in_Idaho

I'm trying to find a location to mount a 2.5 gallon Viair tank in my LJ. I don't want it inside. I was told it would fit under it but played around for about an hour and couldn't figure it out. Every place I tried it was low enough to take a beating it I take it offroad. Anyone have any pics of their installation?

I mounted mine under the jeeps driver seat.
I also used a small air valve to dump the tanks pressure when i was done for the day relieving me of having to climb under and drain any condensation from the tank.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 1,977
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 657
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 354
Someone is giving me a Viair 380c, and I've just bought the Viair 2.5 gallon tank, port kit, pressure switch and gauge - any tips / regrets on this install?

What did you use to run your air lines?

Terry:
I mounted my compressor just under the brake booster, This location has two advantages. One is was the second battery mounting ledge, and I could run the air pick up line into my cab so my filter is out of any wet or dusty conditions. The compressor is mounted to a 1/4 thick steel plate and rides on rubber isolators. That allowed me to drill and mount the plate as a solid unit to the battery tray for easy removal for servicing. As you can see in the picture, my critical lines (for my ARB's), I used a 1/4 inch air brake lines that I got at a semi tractor trailer repair parts house. These lines are oil and gas resistant. Plus they have a 600 degree melting temp. There D.O.T. approved and have a proven track record. They are a bit stiff and come with quick disconnects, but after 7+ years I have never had to replace one, and if I ever need a replacement connection or air line, semi repair facilities are never far. I used the 3/8 I.D. flex lines (air brake line)to run to the tank to give me better volume, since I ran them through the frame rail down to the tank, since I didn't have the special tool to clamp the solid crimp bands that were recommended, I used hose clamps.

As to mounting the tank I used carriage bolts with large fender washers on both sides of tub and double nylox nuts (because the bag came with 8 nuts and I didn't have anything better to use them on)to secure them.

Now I also recomend that you head over to your local evco house of hoses, and get a M.S.A. (Mine Safety Appliances) approved hose connector. I found that the standard quick disconnect hose connectors that you get at your local Home Depot dont last 1-2 years out in the weather. This disconnect has been on my jeep for 5 years and no leaks.

Attachments

• 100_0247.JPG
    100_0247.JPG
    932.8 KB · Views: 900
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 327
Back