2 Low for np231?

K.13

I'm looking around for parts for my jeep and saw this mod for the np231 gives you a 2 low. Anyone have this or know anything about it? Is it just like 4 low, only using the rear axle though? Would it be worth buying?
Come spring I'm picking up a newly rebuilt transmission and t-case, would it be worth to buy and to put it in?

I run a 2lo, it's very convenient for rough dry trails that don't necessarily require 4wd.

It's a very affordable mod & relatively easy to install. While you are inside the transfer case, consider replacing the chain ($65) and the shift fork pads ($15).

It did sound like it would be a pretty nice option to have. Are you running the Dana 35's? What all is required to get it in there?

Stock axles are d35 rear and d30 front, and I'm running d44's front and rear.

To install the 2lo, you need to disassemble the transfer case, removing the mainshaft, chain, front output shaft, and shift forks. Disconnect the shift linkage and drive out the range selector. Install the new range selector and new range fork and put it back together. Only special tools are the split ring pliers and maybe a 12pt 10mm socket if you don't have one.

Thats not too abd at all. I think I got numerous 10mm sockets and split ring pliers kicking around somewhere. Think the 35 is good enough to handle the 2 low? Also, where/what did you get the 44's from? What all did you have to do to get them onto the leafs, weld on new perches? Or is there something out there with axles that will match up?

His, and most D44 axles in YJ's come from wagoneer's. very few mod's needed to get the axle to fit in the YJ spring under, couple more needed for spring over. also scouts and chevys are sourced for D44 front axles, but the process is far more complicated.. cut and roating inner castings and shortening axles.
Some 66-77 bronco d44's are easy to swap as well assuming they do not have cast radius arm mounts.

Rear D44's come either from J trucks, Wagoneers, scouts, iszuzu (sp) xj's, mj's etc.. also explorer 8.8 are great swap in axles.

Ok, so I just saw I can get the D44's out of a Rodeo and an Old Wagoneer. Do they match up at all? Also, is there anything else I can get a D44 for the front out of? I think a Wagoneer might be a little hard to find around here. And lastly... What would be a good gear ratio for 33's tires? Sorry for goin a but off topic on this one.

I run a posi lock front so in a different manner I have 2-lo (unlocked front diff) and like bounty hunter said it is very handy, I personaly love it

It sounds like a great thing to have. It'd be really nice for most of the trails around here.
What are the easiest axles for a swap? I am pretty good at welding, but Im not too terribly sure on how accurate I am. I havent really looked into a shop yet, but Im pretty sure round here, they would charge alot to weld new percehes on. And I really dont want to go the route of machining and what not. I do wan to sink some bucks into my YJ, but not that much, nor the effort. Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated. Oh, lastly, I thought the XJ didn't come with a 44... or atleast not in Canada, or is it the States?

This 2 low swap sounds very intriguing to me. Is this a kit that you buy somewhere? I like how handy it sounds.

Another 2pm idea if you get a 44 with manual hubs just put the tcase in 4lo and unlock the hubs 2lo right there or put manual hubs on whatever axle your getting

The 2low is sold by Teraflex.

I run a mid '80s Wagoneer front d44 and a mid-'90s Isuzu Rodeo rear d44 (also found in some Honda Passports). These axles have matching 6-lug wheel patterns and 4whl disc brakes.

It's a relatively easy install, 4 new spring perches and new shock mounts on the rear axle. Mine are SOA so I modified one of the front spring perches to fit part-way onto the cast differential housing.

Another 2pm idea if you get a 44 with manual hubs just put the tcase in 4lo and unlock the hubs 2lo right there or put manual hubs on whatever axle your getting

I agree with Jeepkid, if you think you will be getting better axles with lockout hubs just leave them unlocked and you have 2wd low for free. I have a D60 front axle and that is what I do, and it works great. For as little as I use 2wd low I just couldn't justify any cost to get it. I only use it to jockey trailers around in my driveway when the only vehicle available is my Jeep.

That works well unless you're wheeling and would like to switch back and forth between 4lo and 2lo without getting out to mess with the hubs each time. Rocky dry trails around here often require slow speed but not always 4wd, and with a locker (or in my case a spool) up front the 2lo makes turning so much easier.

I agree completely. That's my favorite part about wheeling in my jeep. Not having to get out and mess around with the lockers.

I don't mind it cause incan handle turning my wheel in 4pm no prob for me

If you change the transfer cases to have a 2low wouldn't it be easier to just go ahead and change the ratio to 4:1.or does that come with the change to 2low?

check out (tj site index),stu has really good info on what is involved in the swap. mine took about 2days/ 2case of beer lol. buddy of mine and i did it on a weekend.works great, saves the clutch.

Back