Have a mystery

icecastle

I need some help.Have a 91 YJ with 2.5L fuel injected.It was running fine then I parked it in garage for 3 weeks.When I went to start it it wont fire:???:I have checked the fuses,the timing,has good spark.I can hear the fuel pump build up and shut off after you try to srart it a few times you can smell gas at tail pipe.Need help please thanks.

I assume that "won't fire" means that the engine is, at least, turning. I'd start with the rotor and distributor cap. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd then replace the ignition coil. It's clearly an ignition problem, so I'd bet that one of these items would be an easy fix.

It does have realy good spark.But doesnt even try to fire.Could it be something in the computer? the codes that I get are11,33,12,55:???:does that give any more of an idea? thanks

icecastle said:
It does have realy good spark.But doesnt even try to fire.Could it be something in the computer? the codes that I get are11,33,12,55:???:does that give any more of an idea? thanks

You answered your own question. Code 11= ignition problem. So I think you need a new ignition coil. I know you said you get a spark but does the job go all the way through the rotation? Just a thought: your ignition coil may be good but what this code is telling you is that it could be anything between your ignition and the spark plugs. So look very carefully at each part for damage and take age into account. But I would replace the coil.

And code 33 is ac relay just FYI.

oops the code 12 was typo code 13 instead.The spark is realy hot will jump about 3/4 "with plug out.Just wandering if getting full fuel through the inj.just checked it is 40# when cranking is this a norm when not running? thanks

icecastle said:
oops the code 12 was typo code 13 instead.The spark is realy hot will jump about 3/4 "with plug out.Just wandering if getting full fuel through the inj.just checked it is 40# when cranking is this a norm when not running? thanks

There is no code 40, but there is a 41 and 42. They both deal with an opened or shortened circuit either in a relay or between a fuel sending unit and a control circuit.

Ok here is an update read something in another thread about too much fuel.thought I would try messing around that direction.I pulled out the fuel pump relay and cranked till fuel press. dropped then it started to fire.Then put relay back and it started up and ran good.Now any ideas about that? The fuel pressure now when runing is 31psi W/vacuum line hooked up and holds that when off.

The fuel pressure should be something like 31psi and 39psi, one for vacuum and the other without.

Ok here is an update read something in another thread about too much fuel.thought I would try messing around that direction.I pulled out the fuel pump relay and cranked till fuel press. dropped then it started to fire.Then put relay back and it started up and ran good.Now any ideas about that? The fuel pressure now when runing is 31psi W/vacuum line hooked up and holds that when off.

now your having no troubles firing it up?

I love it when stuff practically fixes itself. Don't know what else to say really. I guess just drive it til it breaks again. :shrug:

Back