Mystery Question

blueseasons

I feel stupid for even asking this. My 84 Jeep is showing it's age in a lot of ways. The interior used to be water tight against rain, washing etc. Lately rain has been pouring in from the outside when it rains hard , pooling someplce uder the dash and eventually dumping on my gas peddle foot. Here is the weird thing, I can't tell how it is getting in. Windshield frame is solid, no rust or holes. The glass is seald, with silicone against the frame. No leaks there. The frame is sealed, with silicone onto the cowl gasket. There are no holes in the cowl itself. The cowel vent looks solid as well. I have looked under the dash with a flashlight and I can't see anyway it can be getting in. I don't know what to thimk.

Maybe its running down into the engine compartment through your hood, and then running down the wires through your firewall? Just a guess. Its hard to locate these kinds of things without actually being there. Water is a funny thing. It always finds a way.

Another leak candidate is the rubber bootie that is supposed to seal the clutch rod through the firewall.

Back