AWG vs. SAE wiring

Turbogus

Hi gang,
I was just rummaging around my elecrical box when I came up with two 2 gauge battery wires, one marked AWG and the other SAE. The wires in the AWG seem to be of smaller gauge and as far as connectivity and other issues is one really better than the other for automotive wiring?

Pic SAE on the left, AWG on the right (according to the text on the shielding)
5532762273_36145d3d6f_z-1.jpg

Pic AWG on the left, SAE on the right (according to the text on the shielding)

5532762281_afbcf6f632_z-1.jpg

I thought I saw an article about this in JP magazine a while back but I'll be dipped in buttermilk if I can find it.

update for this little tidbit from the JP website;
"not all wires are created equal. I said that before. But this time, I want to talk about SAE and AWG ratings. That chart shows AWG wire ratings. SAE wires are smaller in diameter and carry less current before they melt because of it. If you aren't sure what kind of wire you are using, you can measure it and see. If it is about 10 percent smaller than what my chart says, it is SAE wire and carries about 10 percent less current."
This statement is opposite of what these two wires are, hence my puzzlement.

Last edited:

The pic on the left is more widely used on heavier applications for heavy duty trucks. It can handle a lot more amp. draw at a a higher rate than the smaller stranded cable. The smaller stranded cables are used on medium duty to light duty vehicles.

Good to know Mikey, thanks! I think the AWG wire was part of a battery cable I used for the winch install.

Back