Thread: Seat Risers

86cj is offline Junior Member

Seat Risers

I need all Of you knowledgeable people to answer this question. I have a 1986 CJ7 and I think the seats that the PO installed sit to high, because the seat belt barley goes around this fluffy body. My question is that if the seat is to high can smaller seat risers be bought or larger seat belts to compensate until the fluffy body unfluffs

Jason4x4 is offline Senior Member

Re: Seat Risers

I haven't specifically looked for CJ's, but I know I've seen special larger seat belts you can buy for overweight people; however they're intended for people who are seriously obese. I think the better solution in your case would be to lower the seats. Do you think it would be possible to modify the seat brackets or use different brackets that would sit lower? Are they stock brackets on an aftermarket seat?

86cj is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4x4 View Post
    I haven't specifically looked for CJ's, but I know I've seen special larger seat belts you can buy for overweight people; however they're intended for people who are seriously obese. I think the better solution in your case would be to lower the seats. Do you think it would be possible to modify the seat brackets or use different brackets that would sit lower? Are they stock brackets on an aftermarket seat?
    I would rather use smaller brackets but have been unable to find any. If there out there I'm just not looking in the right places. To modify is beyond my ability. Thank You Jason4X4 for such a quick response.

Jason4x4 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86cj View Post
    I would rather use smaller brackets but have been unable to find any. If there out there I'm just not looking in the right places. To modify is beyond my ability. Thank You Jason4X4 for such a quick response.
    What kind of seats are they, and do they appear to be using stock brackets or aftermarket? Any idea?

TLCJ5 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86cj View Post
    Most after market seats tend to sit higher than the originals,but I don't know of any lower/shorter seat brackets that wouldn't take a fair amount of fabrication. I would suggest the seatbelt extensions because that would be the easiest & the easiest to "undo" when the fluffiness does indeed subside. Another option might be a tilt wheel...that's a bit of a modification,but it's a nice option to have.
    Tom Landvogt
    1978 CJ5(my toy)
    1999 TJ Wrangler Sahara(daily driver)
    2001 Cherokee Sport(wifes Jeep/winter driver)
    2002 Dodge Dakota(to tow the CJ & Wrangler)

TLCJ5 is offline Senior Member

OOPs sorry I forgot the root problem is the seatbelts,not space. However I just remembered seeing seatbelt extension brackets a few years back they raise the seatbelt mount about 6". 4wdHardware &/or Quadratec carried them.
    Tom Landvogt
    1978 CJ5(my toy)
    1999 TJ Wrangler Sahara(daily driver)
    2001 Cherokee Sport(wifes Jeep/winter driver)
    2002 Dodge Dakota(to tow the CJ & Wrangler)