do shocks actually help yj

cali_92

my question is if i bought different schock for my 92 yj with 4" RC lift that came with the "hydro"? shocks could i get a softer ride?.. or is the leaf springs just to stiff for theh shocks to make a differences?

i noticed when i put my shocks on with the lift that they didnt push the rod out, it mostly just sucked it in. which if u understand what im trying to say i dont think the absorb any bumbs. im mainly just looking to soften up the front end. i kno i can take air out of my tires to help but mpg is an issue with these gas prices and i'll take what i can.
ideas, advice, thanks for the help

the only thing i can think of to help with mpg is to take the big tires off and go a 31 or so.

my question is if i bought different schock for my 92 yj with 4" RC lift that came with the "hydro"? shocks could i get a softer ride?.. or is the leaf springs just to stiff for theh shocks to make a differences?

i noticed when i put my shocks on with the lift that they didnt push the rod out, it mostly just sucked it in. which if u understand what im trying to say i dont think the absorb any bumbs. im mainly just looking to soften up the front end. i kno i can take air out of my tires to help but mpg is an issue with these gas prices and i'll take what i can.
ideas, advice, thanks for the help

it's the true nature of the beast i'm afraid. you could search for softer leafs....or go with a complete coil over conversion....but even the TJ's run a bit stiff with coils. Have you tried pulling off the shox altogether and driving around the block to actually SEE/TELL a difference? or are you comparing them to your last set before the lift was installed?

There are a couple of things you can do to soften the ride, but keep in mind that lift leaf springs harshen the ride.

First, let me explain why the lift makes the ride harsher: on a leaf spring lift kit, to get the lift, you need to have a more pronounced arch. While original (no lift) spring packs are almost straight, your new leafs are more U shaped, which (assuming same level of leaf stiffnes) means that you now have to compensate for this curvature, and the curve will tend to resist bending more than a straight pack.

Now, having said that, the first thing I would do is go look at the shackles. If you have nylock nuts, you can loosen them up a bit. IIRC, the FSM specs about 50 to 80 ft/lbs, but you can go to 30 or so no problem (that's where mine are at, and I wheel and drive my rig; no problems in over 3 years of driving this way). The other thing you can do is get greasable bolts, which will let the suspension travel a bit more freely. You can also get new shocks (shock stiffness WILL affect the harshness of the ride), but I would leave that as the final option, as it is the most expensive. Also keep in mind that if the shocks are too soft, the ride will bounce a bit more than before... Also, the leafs will go softer as time passes.

Hope this helps!

Felipe

There are a couple of things you can do to soften the ride, but keep in mind that lift leaf springs harshen the ride.

First, let me explain why the lift makes the ride harsher: on a leaf spring lift kit, to get the lift, you need to have a more pronounced arch. While original (no lift) spring packs are almost straight, your new leafs are more U shaped, which (assuming same level of leaf stiffnes) means that you now have to compensate for this curvature, and the curve will tend to resist bending more than a straight pack.

Now, having said that, the first thing I would do is go look at the shackles. If you have nylock nuts, you can loosen them up a bit. IIRC, the FSM specs about 50 to 80 ft/lbs, but you can go to 30 or so no problem (that's where mine are at, and I wheel and drive my rig; no problems in over 3 years of driving this way). The other thing you can do is get greasable bolts, which will let the suspension travel a bit more freely. You can also get new shocks (shock stiffness WILL affect the harshness of the ride), but I would leave that as the final option, as it is the most expensive. Also keep in mind that if the shocks are too soft, the ride will bounce a bit more than before... Also, the leafs will go softer as time passes.

Hope this helps!

Felipe

how does loosening up the shackles reduce stiffness. idk what mine has exactly, when i bought it it came with what looks like a shackle lift. they r some big o teeth hanging of the front of my jeep. i've always wanted to put smaller less noticable shackles up front but the like the look of the ride hieght. i like the front being barely higher then the back like an 1nch max or level.

i recently lifted my friends grand cherokee with a 2in spacer and shock RC lift with the same shocks i have on mine and his rides so nice. going over a dip feels cushy. im guessing because theres more weight on them... with my yj its like a quick hard jolt through the whole truck.

and with the shocks i just dont kno what to go with. i kno bilstein r good and have them on the other jeep in the fam but its an 03 with coils so right off the bad its a nicer ride.

an after thought.. if i have a 4" lift all around and what looks like a shackle lift would the 4" shocks that come with the kit b long enough for the front?...

thanks for the help

i kno its a JEEP let alone a yj. its not gonna be a smooth ride. but im just looking for a way to reduce some of those hard hits it takes around town.

it's the true nature of the beast i'm afraid. you could search for softer leafs....or go with a complete coil over conversion....but even the TJ's run a bit stiff with coils. Have you tried pulling off the shox altogether and driving around the block to actually SEE/TELL a difference? or are you comparing them to your last set before the lift was installed?

if i hadthe money coil conversion wouldalready b done. i got what i could afford at the time. NO i havent taken the shocks off and driven without them but i've thought about it. i didnt kno the cons of it. i strongly feel that it wouldnt make a difference, thats how bad they are, when i got the shocks in the kit i was disapointed at how they acted. they only wanted to continously come together. shouldnt a good shock push away and give resistence?

Last edited:
best solution is to remove the jeep from the equation and daily drive a cadilac if ride quality is a concern. If not, just deal with it.

Jeeps tend to ride a bit ruff.... My 92 yj has a 4 inch lift with 33s and does the same thing... Ive learned to just deal with it man when im on pavement.... My 97 xj with a 3 inch lift and 31s even rides ruff.... Hmmmmm now that I think of it all the lifted trucks and suv's ive had have been like that.... If u try the mentiond tips or find something new out let us no...

how does loosening up the shackles reduce stiffness.

The tighter the nuts on the shackle, the more friction you will have, and the more the shackle will resist moving back and forth to allow the leaf spring to compress. The less the spring compresses, the more shock that is transfered to the frame (and you!).

i recently lifted my friends grand cherokee with a 2in spacer and shock RC lift with the same shocks i have on mine and his rides so nice. going over a dip feels cushy. im guessing because theres more weight on them... with my yj its like a quick hard jolt through the whole truck.

You are comparing apples and oranges here; the suspension in the GC is completely different (coils vs leaf). Also, in coil suspension, when you ad a spacer, the original coil is left intact, so the original ride remains mostly the same (just a tad harsher due to the control arm angle, but I doubt you would notice this with a 2" spacer).

Now, if you want a ride like the GC, I am sorry, but I have to recommend that you sell the Wrangler and get something else. The Wrangler will NEVER be as soft as the GC.

and with the shocks i just dont kno what to go with. i kno bilstein r good and have them on the other jeep in the fam but its an 03 with coils so right off the bad its a nicer ride.

an after thought.. if i have a 4" lift all around and what looks like a shackle lift would the 4" shocks that come with the kit b long enough for the front?...

thanks for the help

I would not worry about the Shocks (nor would I change them). Shackle lifts really only lift half of the shackle extension (so to lift 2" the Jeep, you need shackles that are 4" longer than stock, and that's just INSANE). Unless your shackles are EXTREMELY long, I would not worry about the shocks not being long enough...

just trying to do the best i can with what i have. when u only have one car its ur daily driver jps4jeep. jerk. with ur unnecessary comment. personally i like to inprove something if i can. im sure u make u ride as nice as u can. im trying to do the same.

thanks for the advice about the shackles. my are at like 80ft/lbs
i'll probably lower that.

Back