98 jeep not chargeing

i have a 98 jeep wrangler that is not charging. after driving for about 5min the voltage gauge will drop to nothing. no matter of when i check it the alt. isnt putting anything out. i found some information about a fusible link but i cant find it where would it be? is there anything else i should look for that may cause this?

When you say "no matter when I check it the alt. isn't oputting anything out" are you checking it at the battery with a volt meter? The vehical won't start and/or the accessories won't work if thefusible link is blown,so I wouldn't think that's your problem. First I would check the battery connections & grounds...if all the grounds are good & the battery connections are clean I would pull the alternator & take it to an autoparts store to have them test it. Hope that helps...good luck & let us know what you find.

2 other things to check other than the alternator, battery temp sensor and the PCM. The PCM regulates the charging rate to the battery via battery temperature sensor.

you could try gently tapping on the back of alternator to see if the voltage comes back,if it does it is probably the brushes,very easy to change on these alternators,they are under a tin plate on back there is no need to split the main case

pop the alternator out and get it tested at the auto parts store .
sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator fried

Before you do anything... Put a volt meter across the battery with the engine running. You should get between 13 and 14.5 volts depending on a lot of variables. The dash gauge should not drop to zero. If the alternator quits you'll see the gauge slowly work it's way down until your lights get noticeably dim. At that point the Jeep probably won't start any more. The gauge dropping to zero could be the PCM not liking a signal. Is your "check engine" light on?
-John

Back