gear selection

Andrew F

It's time to rebuild the rear end in my TJ and I'm looking for advice on what ratio to use. It currently sits on 33x12.50 BFG KM2s. I mostly drive it around town, often towing, but I often make hwy trips. I've rebuilt the 4.0 with internals from Clifford (.060" over, 264 cam) so power isn't a problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Do you have the 5spd or the automatic? What's the factory axle ratio?

I generally recommend 4.56 for the auto and 4.88 for the 5spd if you want offroad performance. If offroad performance doesn't concern you and fuel mileage is more of a concern, consider 4.10 for the auto and 4.56 for the 5spd.

I have the 5spd. It's a 97 Sahara without the tow package so I'm pretty sure it has a D44 with a 3.73 LSD. With the 33s it's been really sluggish on the hwy. I'm just afraid of the fuel econ if I go to 4.56. Does anyone make something around 4.30?

Regardless I'm going to have to replace the carrier, it's had a long, hard life, and I'm sure I've destroyed the internals. It's stuck in posi and pops while turning and sometimes on takeoff.

I do quite a bit of towing with it. Not so much offroad these days.

d44 axle was not available in '97, and the 4.0L 5spd came with 3.07 gears most often which would explain your very sluggish performance. Your axle is a d35 rear and d30 front. Check the numbers on the diff tag to be sure of the gear ratio.

I'd recommend finding a pair of used axles from a 2.5L 5spd TJ as they have 4.10 gears, and it sounds like yours have been abused to the point replacement would be a good investment.

I've rechecked and the rear axle is a Trac-Loc D44 (apple shaped cover with a metal fill plug). I can't find the ratio on any tags, the only tag on it says to use LSD oil only.

Never heard of one from the factory, do you know if it's been swapped in?

Who knows what your gear ratio is if it's been swapped from another vehicle. Did you check the front axle for a tag?

everything I've seen thus far indicates that it is factory. The 44 was listed as an option in the 97 Sahara. there is a decal in the bottom of the glove compartment with a warning about the Trac-Loc mechanism. It also has a 19gal fuel tank, which is an uncommon option on early TJs but it is factory. as I've looked through pages it does look as though it did come with 3.07 gears though. I purchased it used 5 years ago and have found that it's optioned exactly how I would have ordered it had I bought it new with the more rugged options and little in the way of [non standard] extra comforts.

I would consider Rubicon axles, but I don't want to deal with the compressor for the ARB lockers. I'm more interested in Detroit Lockers because I won't have to worry about them and don't mind the noise. As if I would notice it over the flowmaster super 44 and BFG MT KM2s.

haven' checked the front yet

I would consider Rubicon axles, but I don't want to deal with the compressor for the ARB lockers. I'm more interested in Detroit Lockers because I won't have to worry about them and don't mind the noise. As if I would notice it over the flowmaster super 44 and BFG MT KM2s.

Rubicon lockers were electric, as far as I know... And KM2's are really not that noisy. I run 33" BFG KM2's on 4.88 gears (I have a 2.5L) and my axles are SD30 and SD35...

I had heard that they were ARB. still, pneumatic lockers require a compressor that I don't want to deal with.

At any rate, this whole thing started because I've damaged the spider gears in my diff. It looks as though I can drop a powertrax no-slip (#92-0444-3020) in to replace the trac-loc and at least be able to drive it until I can afford to replace the rest of the axle internals.

Andrew they were air lockers but Chrysler made, they came out for 3 years. Jeep mounted two small dedicated air-compressors next to the transfer case and ran the air lines down the drivers side upper control arm. It only took 5lbs to engage the locker and 2lbs of skinny pedal to blow them on rocks. Then in 06 Rubicons came out with a e-lockers and service departments loved Jeep again.

IF it just your spider gears for your trac-loc, any jeep dealer will have the replacement gears available cheap. I replaced mine once before I went to ARB's. Think it was around 120$ or so I cant remember, but it was cheaper than throwing in a new carrier.

I keep hearing this sort of report above and am learning. For me and VEX, the ARBs are 20 years old now and just plain rock and bullet proof as well. Interesting data and facts from everyone.

Robert

I keep hearing this sort of report above and am learning. For me and VEX, the ARBs are 20 years old now and just plain rock and bullet proof as well. Interesting data and facts from everyone.

Robert

The only problem I have ever had with my ARB lockers was my last wheeling trip; the air compressor turned on while submerged, and it seems water does not compress too well after all... :shock: Since then, I removed the air filter and used a connection to he stock air box (and snorkel!).

IF it just your spider gears for your trac-loc, any jeep dealer will have the replacement gears available cheap. I replaced mine once before I went to ARB's. Think it was around 120$ or so I cant remember, but it was cheaper than throwing in a new carrier.

would this require re-shimming everything? or should I just be able to drop them in?

No since the spider gears run on con-cave shims inside the carrier, they do not have any shim relation to the ring and pinion shims.
You will need a large "C" clamp when you dis-assemble the carrier.

The only problem I have ever had with my ARB lockers was my last wheeling trip; the air compressor turned on while submerged, and it seems water does not compress too well after all... :shock: Since then, I removed the air filter and used a connection to he stock air box (and snorkel!).

I understand this. Soon after I got VEX operational, about 19 years ago or so, I was Jeepin' on a rescue in eastern Montana for a buddy of mine stranded, and drowned out the pump on the ARBs. Same as you I think. I then ran a small hose up high enough along the windshield frame to assuage this and that mod worked well. From then to now, all over the planet, no errors since.

With so much desert running that is not an issue of late, but still I keep an eye on this.

Robert

Called my local jeep dealer and all they offer is a complete gear kit with the ring and pinion... any ideas on where to get just the internals?

What do you mean internals?

First off, the D44 was a late model year option, early "97" tj's which were manufactured with 96 build dates and early 97, the D44 was not an option, it was added mid-year, late year 97 to the TJ model as an option only for sports and sahara's. the amount of 97's that actually got the d44 was limited, so it is generally assumed that 98 was the first year for them.

if your re-gearing, at a minimum, you will need a ring and pinion set for the front and for the rear, as well as master install kits for each. depending on what gear ration you had, and what you're going to, you may also have to get a new carrier.

edit, just saw you only want to replace the spider gears or trac lock or something something.

Mine is a Sahara with a production date of 10/96 and has the D44. There is no indication that it was swapped in. especially since it still had the factory jeep shocks.

Back