Rhino Liner or DIY

Conrad906

How many of y'all have the inside of your Wranglers lined? Did you pay for it or do it yourself? And what's your opinion of it.

I'm contemplating this, but but want to make an informed decision.

My jeep came lined, it is a little noisy on the road, but clean up is a snap. The po did this himself and it has lasted through all of our abuse. I say go for it.

I have Rhino in mine; keeps the Jeep about as quiet as when I have the rug in there (less noise when I put the rug on top of the lining). Also, no more scratching the Jeep when I take stuff out the back, and I just cover the dash and hose the interior for cleaning... I also recommend it.

I've done Herculiner in about 5 Jeeps & I've been very happy with the results. The new body on the "78 CJ5 I decided to have sprayed with LineX...it is awesome!! Way more expensive,but the results are beautiful & I'm sure it will hold up...it is thicker & more even than the do it yourself stuff.

I've heard great stuff about Line-X and Rhinoliner, but they are also super expensive. I've also heard good and bad about Herculiner. That being said, I lined my Jeep with Grizzly Grip. I love it, and it came out great. If you want I can take a picture of what it came out looking line. It's also taken my beatings, and mud, and more beating.

The only time I've had a problem is on really long road trips, but even then it's only by the transmission and if you just throw a towel or something on the ground you'd be fine. But it doesn't get to hot where I am.

I've heard great stuff about Line-X and Rhinoliner, but they are also super expensive. I've also heard good and but Herculiner. That being said, I lined my Jeep with Grizzly Grip. I love it, and it came out great. If you want I can take a picture of what it came out looking line. It's also taken my beatings, and mud, and more beating.

The worse/best thing I have heard about Herculiner is the guy that got some of it on "hootos"...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595&pagenumber=1

That's just TOO FUNNY of a thread to let it die out from old age!

What about the heat? Did it keep it cooler or should you just use lizard skin or somethin heat resistant?

My Jeep spends its time between Panama City, Panama (100* year round) and Costa Rica (a bit cooler in the city), and so far, so good. It DOES get hot there, but not any hotter than it did before the Rhino, especially around the transmission tunnel. For the long road trips, I take the rug with me, so it's not all that bad...

I went and got Speed Liner 1000 done on mine. Not sure where you're located at, but if you're in DFW, TX area, Tuff Customs really took care of me. When i Was pricing around on the liner, average was 500 bucks. I wrote a review on the liner when I got it done:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/33881-tuff-customs-speed-liner-1000-a.html

So far so good. No issues with it peeling up or getting scratched or nothing. I went with having someone else do it for me cause I'm good at screwing things up and I don't wanna get liner on my hootus (ref link from jfrabat)

Another alternative to those mentioned is Durabak. I used it on my Poison Spyder Rochette Rockers, where it's held up extremely well. The nice thing is that if it does get scratched off by rocks you just slap on another coat or two and it's good to go again because it is easily repairable and bonds to itself.

One thing I've often wondered about is really how hard it is to clean the textured surface if it's used in the tub of a Jeep. All those nooks and crannies, I don't know, maybe I'm just anal retentive, but I'd think they would trap a lot of crud. Durabak offers their product in a smooth finish as well. Cote-L Distribution Company You get the same tough, polyurethane, waterproof, flexible, sound dampening, chemical and UV resistant. bed liner, just without the rubber granules. If you decided you need certain areas to be slip resistant (like the driver and passenger floor pans and maybe the floor of the rear tub, you can always use the regular textured stuff in those areas. I think it would look pretty darn cool, as well.

So while not knocking any of the other products, I have personally used Durabak and can highly recommend it. For more info:

Durabak Company :Truck Bed Liners, Photos, How To Applications, Product Reviews.

Application Tips:
Cote-l Industries

Last edited:

I had to bring this thread back to share my two cents worth:) I have been wanting to line my tub and have spent weeks doing research and finally settled on a product called Raptor by U-Pol. I heard good things about it, so I spent the $120 to try it. The kit comes with 4 bottles of liner, the hardener, and the spray gun. All you have to do is fill the bottles to the pre-marked lines, shake, and spray. It took forever to tape off the car but damn does it look good. The thickness can be adjusted with the air pressure and the kit came with more than enough for three coats. Not sure how it holds up long term but I would highly recommend this stuff. Even for an amateur like me it was way to easy to do... I attached a couple of iPhone pics to view!

Sorry, hit send before attaching pics! Here they are.

Attachments

• image-2173505667.png
    image-2173505667.png
    1 MB · Views: 10,050
  • image-276117719.png
    image-276117719.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,065
  • image-1926009829.png
    image-1926009829.png
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 3,416
Back