Oil Pan Pain

Shinnysideup

I have an 1980 CJ5 with a leaky oil pan. Got all 28 bolts out and the pan finally broke free from the engine but now it seems that the outer lip of the pan is stuck inbetween the motor and the motor mount.
Do I really have to jack the engine up to remove the oil pan or am I doing something wrong?
THX

im not sure, i took the pan out of my 94 (4.0) with everything intact, however i have 1" raised mounts. and i know that there are a lot of vehicles that you do have to take the bolts out of the mounts and lift the motor an inch or two, but be careful not to crush the distributor, or anything else while doing so!

Thanks. I don't have a hoist so I am going to attempt to jack the motor up by the transmission this weekend. Not sure what the chances of the motor mounts loosening up will be as they have been in there for 31 years. I'll let you know how it goes.

you dont need a cherry picker, all you need is a floor jack and some blocks of wood. use the wood blocks to cushion and increase the surface area between the jack and oil pan (if you can get to it). then loosed the and take out the mount bolts and jack it up an inch or two (ive had to do this at work but with a pole jack while the vehicle was on the lift) but its the same principle. But you def want to spread the weight out so you dont crush the pan!

Ok I was able to jack up the engine almost 2 inches but it was not enough so now I have to drop the front drive line to allow enough room underneath the oil pan to slide it out. Huge pain in the you know what.

at least the oil pan is only 8 more 8mm bolts though! could be worse! for rangers you have to drop all kinds of stuff!!!!! including axle parts lol

I finally got the oil pan off, I had to jack up the engine 2 inches and take the front driveline and yoke off. Even with all that it was tough to get out. I replaced the gasket and reinstalled it yesturday. Will reinstall the starter and bolt the engine back down tonight and add oil.

In that process I realized I needed a new front yoke so will install that and the new ujoints in the front driveline tonight.

Going to be ready to wheel it on the 4th of July come hell or high water.

Back