Water leak

Go topless 87

I replaced the cowl seal on my 87 yj bit I still get water on my drivers side floor. WTF. Help please.

Attachments

• image-2582491373.png
    image-2582491373.png
    670.5 KB · Views: 1,790

Check and make sure the drain from the cowl vent isn't clogged. It's a small rubber hose on the passenger side firewall.

is it water, or antifreeze? if its water and it happens while running the a/c then clean out the drain tube, if its antifreeze then your heater core is most likely leaking. and if its from rain then the cowl drain tube is probably clogged, i got about 6inches worth of PACKED in mud out of the cowl drain in my 94 about a month ago lol

did you run a small bead of silicon on the seal ? we always do this because we don't run with the winsheild down and it just acts like a small insurance policy :)

Is there a diagram or photos of the cowl seal ...? Can someone post a link ...?

I have a '99 Wrangler that has begun collecting rain water in the driver's side compartment floorboards when there is any significant precipitation ....

Based on what I see above, I'm guessing I need to either (i) replace cowl seal or (ii) clean out drainage channel ....

THX ...!

R/
'Chop

First be sure your floor and firewall plugs are in. I get water on the floor when the plugs are out and I go through a puddle or just driving in heavy rain.

Lay a water hose on the hood next to the windshield and take a flashlight inside and look for it.

Areas that cause issues:
Cowl drain - center under cowl
Vent under cowl - see link
AC vent tube clogged.
Heater core leaking
Around heater core - where it goes though the firewall
Gasket between windshield and body/cowl
Top Windshield gasket between frame and top

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stripped-plastic-cowl-nuts-caused-leak-696834/

Last edited:
THX for the link and posting up some troubleshooting ideas ... the water intrusion is only occurring when it is outside in the rain ...

... when I am wet-vacuuming out the water, I've checked and the plugs are still intact in the floorpan ...

... carpet does not get wet during A/C or heater use ... had the radiator replaced about a year or two ago ... coolant levels appear to be normal ...

... in the link, the passenger side is affected by the overflow of water backing up from the drainage clog ... and it is pretty clear why, as the vent box is located on the passenger side ... unless the configuration changed between '97 and my model year ('99) this might not be the culprit in my situation ... it is the driver's side that is getting the water intrusion ... very little water getting to the passenger side, but the driver's side has an inch or more of standing water ....

I'll have a look ... THX!

R/
'Chop

My Bad on the Passenger/Driver side mix up. You checked the floor pan plugs, but what about the one in the firewall behind the dash near the clutch pedal (if you have one). There is also one in the center behind the AC panel.

Good luck!

and, depending on which angle you are parking, if the cowl drain is plugged, it could still leak into your driver's side foot area.

i have the same problem. my guess is its the cowl seal. i just run duck tape over the entire seal on rainy days and no water gets in... but if i dont then i get a few inches of water on both driver and passenger side... i replaced the cowl seal a couple of yrs ago hoping it would correct the problem. but it didnt. so i ran some silicon all the way across the seal it seemed to fix it for the first rain season then i think it seperated during summer and now im back to covering it with tape. and yes i checked the drain hose and its all clear. hope this helps.....

my plan of attack it to replace the cowl seal again and use a lot of silicon to seal every possible leak spot

Update - I ran a wire hanger down the drainage tube and did not appear to run into any significant blockage (little to no resistance as I fed the wire) ... I ran about half gallon of water down the grille and it all seemed to stream rapidly through the drain to the ground ....

I was at an auto parts store a couple of days later to buy a brake light switch ... was asking another Jeeper about the water intrusion into the footwell on the drivers side and he said that it might be the windshield ...

... the windshield ...??? I replied ...

He indicated the seal around the windshield can shrink up enough to allow leakage around the edges and it can run into the footwell area ....

Anyone else identify this as a particular issue or contributing factor in water leakage ...?

R/
'Chop

First be sure your floor and firewall plugs are in. I get water on the floor when the plugs are out and I go through a puddle or just driving in heavy rain.

Lay a water hose on the hood next to the windshield and take a flashlight inside and look for it.

Areas that cause issues:
Cowl drain - center under cowl
Vent under cowl - see link
AC vent tube clogged.
Heater core leaking
Around heater core - where it goes though the firewall
Gasket between windshield and body/cowl
Top Windshield gasket between frame and top

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stripped-plastic-cowl-nuts-caused-leak-696834/

Update - I ran a wire hanger down the drainage tube and did not appear to run into any significant blockage (little to no resistance as I fed the wire) ... I ran about half gallon of water down the grille and it all seemed to stream rapidly through the drain to the ground ....

I was at an auto parts store a couple of days later to buy a brake light switch ... was asking another Jeeper about the water intrusion into the footwell on the drivers side and he said that it might be the windshield ...

... the windshield ...??? I replied ...

He indicated the seal around the windshield can shrink up enough to allow leakage around the edges and it can run into the footwell area ....

Anyone else identify this as a particular issue or contributing factor in water leakage ...?

R/
'Chop

I guess Pics may help

Heh heh ... guess I'm not very observant ... saw the few entries about HVAC and guess I tuned it out ... :eek: [I am almost certain it is not HVAC related ....]

I did a quick inspection of the edges of the windshield gasket and did observe a little shrinkage ... was it enough to allow in the flooding of water on my floor ...? I am doubtful ... but, will keep an eye on it ....

I haven't taken any photos ... if the flooding recurs next rain, I'll try to remember to snap a photo or two ....

R/
'Chop

p.s. was this something you experienced or have seen in another Jeep first hand ...?

i have not experienced that in a jeep but anything is possible. if someone is saying to check it then it must have happened some time.

i have experienced it on euro model bmws. the 91 i had and the 79 my dad had both had the gasket around the glass shrink enough that water came around it in rain if it was sitting

I have a 99 wrangler and got water on my pass side floor but hour after it stopped raining. It ended up being the rubber seal between my hood and my cowl right above the computer. If it's not there the water slipped through where the Ac and heater hoses come through the firewall. It looks like a molded door seal. I picked one up at autozone that looked very similar and installed it and now the floor is dry. Maybe it will help with yours.

Get under the dash with a flash light and have someone run the hose on the outside of your rig and see were its coming in.

Back