LS1 Engine Swap

zatog

Hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about putting a chevy LS1 engine in my YJ Wrangler.

Do it up. Lighter than the 4l and so much fun. Novak has a ton of info on them. Doing one in my xj once I find a donor

Search, this is one of the most common engine swaps. I'll guarantee you will find enough to read on it. Advance Adapters also has a lot of what you want. After my fiasco with Novak I'll never buy from them. Having said that their website is a wealth of info, but their after sale service and quality control is very poor.

Last edited:
I say skip the LS1 and go with a 5.3L. For some reason, every Tom Dick and Harry that has a "LS1" thinks it is worth a fortune, the 5.3 is an LS blocks, they have just as good aftermarket support (potentally better support) and heres the kicker, cost more than half that what an LS1 will cost and makes the same power, toss some goodys at it and a new tune and you can get upwards of 500 hp at the crank. I've bought a couple complete, low milage 5.3L with ECM and all wiring for 600-800 depending on the yard. For what ever reason, the LS1 block and heads alone sell for that much... with all the money you save in purchase price, buy some go fast parts if you want, it will still be way cheaper.

also don't discount the 6.0 LQ9, a little pricey though

Only downside to the 5.3 is wieght as it has the iron block. Good motor but has to be built to be a good performer. Unless u find a caddy 6.0 with the alum block. But then your payin more than a ls1. Nice thing is ls1 have come down in price up here cuz everyone wants the 6.0 l block.

Only downside to the 5.3 is wieght as it has the iron block.

Iron is not all bad; for us down here in Costa Rica, an iron block is actually prefered, as it can witstand better when you forge rivers or dip it in mud with the engine hot...

So if i did go with the iron block. What would i have to do with my motor mounts and my front suspension? Also what would be the best transmission to run with either the LS1 or the iron block 5.3l?

iron block SBC's dry weight is less than the 258 straight 6 dry weight assuming it has an aluminum manifold. the older cast manifolds will put the block over the weight of the 258. there are aluminum 5.3 blocks, I think 02 and after or 03 and after, they were found in the chevy and gmc trucks ID as L33 and in trailblazers, envoys, the izuzu version of those, the SSR ID as LM4; the LM4 is far easier to find, puts out about 350hp stock and same as stated above, takes cam and tune very well. the l33 was limited to the "mass" and "Pro Sport" trucks, HP output was around 385.

you can buy LS motor mounts, I prefer to make my own, most LS mounts are interchangable. actually most parts on most LS motors are interchangable, fo example, the intake from an LS1 will work on a 5.3.

Last edited:
Back