rough running TJ

beisbul

I recently wahed the engine on my 98 TJ. Needless to say I got something wet I s houldn't have. I replaced dist cap. rotor, and MAP sensor, but it still won't run right. I thought I might replace the TPS sensor, but the hit and miss is getting expensive. Any suggestions? It is 98 Wrangler with a 4 cyl 2.5 engine. [addsig]

I once had the same problem but on my 91YJ. I replaced the TPS and all was well. :-D

edited by: ajfrank43, Mar 07, 2003 - 09:16 PM[addsig]

FYI before I get the engine wet I spray the dist cap, wires & electrical with a silicone spray. This always works for me and never had rough idling afterwards :-D ..........Bullet[addsig]

I think I know exactly what your problem is . I washed my 97 TJ and had the same problem except my check engine light came on and wouldn't go off. Also had the rough idle. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, and distributor. Come to find out I brought it to the Jeep dealership and it was the Idle Sensor which came to be about $65.00.. Hope that helps[addsig]

I bet you money (Figure of speach) that it is your TPS sensor "Throtle Positioning Sensor." I had the SAME problem. Its a spendy part. But it saved me. give it a try... [addsig]

I have a 98 Tj myself, same engine. Ive had alot of woes with the thing already, its been running a little weird ever since I got the thing. But try doing the computer code trick:
Put the key in the ignition (Jeep is off), hold down the odometer button, turn the key to the on position (do not start the jeep, just the electric on) and back off again real quick. Youll see some number(s) flash up. This shows you the computer codes for your TJ. I forget exactly which numbers correspond to what problem, but that is on this site somewhere, and you can find it on the net.
I got the 24 computer code, which means my TPS is all F'ed up[addsig]

Back