Motor help

82CJ7JEEP

For all the AMC proficient individuals out there. I believe I spun a bearing on Sunday, have a very loud tick now, motor runs but not well, it did get me home tho! Got stuck in a hole and while rocking back and forth to get unstuck started ticking/knocking. I am going to do a stock rebuild, what are some of the things I need to either do or watch out for. I am good with ford motors but not AMC. Thanks

A 'tick' is generally top end - valves, exhaust leak etc. A knock is more down low... Rod or wrist pin.

I'm not familiar with CJ7, is it an auto? (not sure what was available).

Maybe a cracked flex plate from the rocking, I've seen it happen and it's a very metallic noise every revolution.

If standard please disregard... Nothing to see here, folks.

Last edited:
Check the lifters, pushrods and rockers. Chances are, you probabbly bent one of the push rods. Just a guess.

Ok, additional info. Started it last night, no oil pressure, I have a mechanical gauge. Starting to think main bearing is spun/bad.

Ok, additional info. Started it last night, no oil pressure, I have a mechanical gauge. Starting to think main bearing is spun/bad.

Ouch. My 304 has a good knock AND tick around the #8 cylinder. Something down below isn't happy either, the motor is just tired. I had just replied to an older thread of yours around March as I'm looking to do a 302 swap.

I guess this puts a rush job on your 302? Is that still in the cards? Sorry about your motor though, hope it's not catastrophic.

Great looking 7. Love the color! :shades:

Yes the 302 is still a go, the machine shop has the block and I am still sourcing internals for it. I will tear into the 360 next weekend to see what damage there is and decide what to do from there. Once I get the parts sourced and the block back i will start posting pics.

Back