Temperature sending unit

nvmycj

Hi guys/gals,

I'm trying to piece together my 75 CJ5, one gauge/item at a time. My temp gauge is not reading. Where is my temp sending unit located on my engine? It's the straight six model. Should I go ahead and buy a new temp gauge?

Thanks in advance!

Matej

i think it's on the thermostat housing i could be wrong or on the head

I am having similar problems with the gauges on my 80 CJ5. I have replaced the oil pressure gauge and temp unit and still nothing. Can't tellyou if you should buy the new gauge but the temp unit is on the top of the engine near the fire wall. Took 2 mechanics to find mine. I recommend buying the unit (it was real cheap) and matching it up on the engine. I can send pics tomorrow if you need them.

I think my problem may be a bad ground going to the gauges so I am going to try to trace that down next.

Hi guys/gals,

I'm trying to piece together my 75 CJ5, one gauge/item at a time. My temp gauge is not reading. Where is my temp sending unit located on my engine? It's the straight six model. Should I go ahead and buy a new temp gauge?

Thanks in advance!

Matej

It should be on the head. Driver's side, near the firewall. Typically when you have a problem with the CJ gauges, it's due to bad grounding. Make sure you have good ground at the dash all the way to the block.

I am having similar problems with the gauges on my 80 CJ5. I have replaced the oil pressure gauge and temp unit and still nothing. Can't tellyou if you should buy the new gauge but the temp unit is on the top of the engine near the fire wall. Took 2 mechanics to find mine. I recommend buying the unit (it was real cheap) and matching it up on the engine. I can send pics tomorrow if you need them.

I think my problem may be a bad ground going to the gauges so I am going to try to trace that down next.

ANY pix would be great! Thanks!!

I assume the only way to get to all the wiring and grounds is to take off the dash panel...? Looks like I've got some detective work to do.

On a side note,...I've search EVERYWHERE for a new dash assembly unit/panel for my '75 CJ5. All the cuts off are '76 and newer. They show the radio insert near the glove box, but my radio is to the left of my steering wheel. Is that something the previous guy installed?

I assume the only way to get to all the wiring and grounds is to take off the dash panel...? Looks like I've got some detective work to do.

On a side note,...I've search EVERYWHERE for a new dash assembly unit/panel for my '75 CJ5. All the cuts off are '76 and newer. They show the radio insert near the glove box, but my radio is to the left of my steering wheel. Is that something the previous guy installed?

Yup. The only components located on the left side of the steering column is the speaker, tachometer(optional) and lamp switches. Radios on the CJ's were also optional. Theres a few i've seen without any cutouts for the radio on the right side of the speedometer gauge that was factory.

I had grounding issues, too. I solved it by running a wire from the firewall to one of the screws that attaches the speedo. This ensures that I have ground even if the connection between the dash and the rest of the body is bad. Of course, you have to make sure you have ground from your body to the frame. Often the connection from the frame to the body is bad, or the strap from the engine block to the frame is corroded or broken. I use an ohmeter and check continuity from battery to block, to frame, to body, to gauges, to everywhere just to make sure that is not the cause of my problems.

Perfect. I know the ground from body to frame is good cause I recently redid it while doing some engine work so as soon as I get it running I will try you idea.
Thx

Back