grinding noise in clutch and gas pedal

jjwilliams32981

I have a grinding noise in my jeep when i push the clutch in. I've been told that it is the throw out bearing, but it also makes the same noise when i'm at a certain range of the gas pedal. If I hold the clutch in, it makes the noise nonstop. It has made this noise before, since then, clutch, motor, trans, driveshafts have all been replaced. Any help would be appreciated

Could be the throw out bearing. Did you notice what condition the clutch and such were in when the trans got replaced? Might be a worn out clutch plate and/or disc as well.

The clutch, motor, and trans all have less than 5000 miles on them since being replaced. I think it's the TOB as well, just wanted to see if it could be anything else. Would that make it hard to shift into gears? I recently got 488's put in, and before that I could not get the truck to run in 5th gear. Since getting the gears, I can get into 5th, but I believe with the higher RPM's its making that bearing act up. Also, now for some reason, it slips really easy into 5th, and grinds if I don't do it really quickly. Just wondering if all these issues are related, I couldn't imagine it not being. Any answers would be appreciated.

It’s somewhat easy to identify if the throw out bearing is acting up. Try pushing slowing in on the clutch. There should be a space before the bearing makes contact but when it does the noise should start and obviously stop when the clutch is released. The questions that I keep coming back to is why do you get the noise in relation to speed and why wouldn’t the bearing have been changed with the rest of the clutch work; typically it’s a given. On that last thought if it was changed then why is it bad now. It could be an adjustment problem from when the clutch was installed causing the bearing to touch just enough to make it spin all the time which caused the bearing to fail prematurely. If you detect no peddle travel before the noise starts this may be the case but it still doesn’t explain the noise at speed though.

Back