rear brake conversion in a TJ

UrbanJeep

I wanted to know if anyone has done this mod yet... Its the Drum to Disc brake conversion kit that I have seen for sale.. is it a good mod to do.. since I know now all new TJ's come with four disc brake set.. and how hard is it to do the conversion? [addsig]

i dont know how hard to do it is, but it is a good mod if you are in the mud alot[addsig]

I think it would be a good mod period... Drums are the way of the past so why would you put them on something so new.[addsig]

The rear disc brake conversion is a really well thought upgrade. The work is not that hard. All you really need is common knowledge of automotive repair and brakes. You will have to unhook your lines and when you are done remember to bleed the whole system to make sure everything works properly. Good luck. ;-) [addsig]

is the kit pretty much a standard for price... Its like 6something for the whole kit... [addsig]

I have actually seen them a lot cheaper than that... When I was looking into doing it I as seeing prices around 300.00 It might be different for the TJ's though. I will do some checking around for ya![addsig]

sweet.... How hard is it to even work on drums.... Mine are totally dead and they killed the fronts too b/c the disc too all the power for stopping.. thank god for bosch lifetime warranty on high friction pads... it was like 25 bux at murrays for shoes and springs... but how hard is it to take apart the drums.. and Do i really new to have them cut if I am going to switch to disc down the road a bit.. who cares if i ruin them if i am going to yank them off in like 4 months[addsig]

I thought about doing this upgrade, but always wondered...... where do you get the pads when they need to be changed?? From the place you got the kit?? or any parts house?? I guess it would tell ya in the kit, but I just wondered.[addsig]

Drums can become functionally welded to the hubs with rust. Cutting them off may do damage to your machine, so try this first. Soak the joint around the hub circle just inside of the lug pattern with penetrating oil. Get out your trusty propane torch (MAPP) is worth the cost, as it burns hotter than propane.

Heat the drum just around the hub, not beyond the lugs but heat them a bit too (not the lugs themselves, just the drum). You'll see some smoke as the oil gets hot. By the way, where's your fire extinguisher???

Once you get the drum hot enough (just as the oil starts to smoke) tap on the drum flat surface, not the outer ring - just the flat around the hub. It should break free from the hub. Don't hit the lugs or the hub with the hammer.

I've had to rent/borrow a set of drum pullers to get off stubborn drums before. Be patient and take your time - they will come off.
[addsig]

Forgot to mention - disks are the best way to go. But as with any modification, you have to weigh the cost with the return. If you're in the water, mud, or breaking a lot decending hills, then disk breaks will fade less, loose friction less and offer substatntially better reliability never needing to be adjusted.

All that being said however, a good set of drum brakes adjusted properly are reliable and safe.

By the way, did I understand you correctly that all TJ's are stock with disks?

[addsig]

Hey Jeepin91. Where did you see the rear disc conversion for 300? I would like to check it out thanks.[addsig]

bluebelle.... they came as an option... now with the 03's they are standard... I wish they were.. I drive a waaay lot on the road.. and I just don't like the feel of the car with discs on the front and drums on the rear[addsig]

Rear Wheel Disc are standard ONLY on :

'03 Rubicn
'03 Rear 44 axle TJ's
HOWEVER,
If you get the 44 option YOU CAN NOT GET 4Wheel Antilocks

SO, if your TJ will be your Wife's daily driver like mine will be...
I value her safety over tough 44 axles.

4WPW gave me a price of $500 - $600 for the rear disc kit. Well worth the bucks.

Don't look for a discount brake kit. Look for a brake kit which WORKS & LASTS!!!

[addsig]

Back